Ready to decorate your home? Of course, you need to know how to budget for decorating! This post shares how & also has budget decorating ideas too!
So you’re ready to decorate that space.
But wait you need to budget for it first, right? There’s no reason to go into debt or to be caught off guard in the money department when decorating!
How to Budget for Decorating
- Make a wish list for the space. Look around whatever room you’re planning to decorate and jot down the items you’d really like. List everything, like in a big, brain-storming session. Then rewrite the list in order starting with the most wanted or needed items at the top.
- Do some research to find pricing for the items on your list. Shop around, compare prices and availability. Finally allocate each item on the wish list a price.
- Start saving. Set up a bank account just for decorating. Use online banking and transfer money to that account to make it easier. If you skip coffee so you can have that throw pillow, transfer the money into the decorating account right away. If you are really serious about saving cut your cable, negotiate new rates on your insurance and phone bills, eat out a little less, switch banks to one that has lower or no fees, etc.
- Make adjustments to your wish list based on when you want to finish decorating and how much you can have saved in that time. NO ONE can afford everything on their wish lists. All of us need to make adjustments to that list.
- And finally plan for a little cushion room in the budget, especially if you’re doing any renovations. Renos notoriously go over budget. So if you plan for that, you won’t be caught off guard.
What steps have you used for budgeting for decor projects?