I’m wife to Dean and momma to our two teenagers and one twenty year old.
I believe home is the most important place on earth and my passion is helping frustrated women who really want a lovely home go from “I don’t know where to start” to “I absolutely adore my home!”
Home Made Lovely is filled with loads of inspiration, projects and ideas to help you create the home you’ve always wanted.
Just a few things I’m passionate about:
- Clutter-free spaces
- Beautiful, but totally livable, rooms
- Faith & family
Who I can help:
- The woman who truly wants to create a lovely home, but just doesn’t know where to start.
- The woman who feels like all she does is tidy up everyone’s stuff all day and has had enough of the clutter.
- The woman who doesn’t think she has an eye for design, but is eager to learn how to decorate anyway.
- The woman who is tired of wasting time and money trying to figure it out on her own.
Who I cannot help:
- Anyone who has a negative attitude in general and thinks creating a lovely home is impossible because of “xyz”. This is a positive and encouraging space.
- Anyone who is looking for a magic, quick fix. What I teach won’t help you one bit if you don’t act on it!
- Anyone who isn’t willing to make changes in order to make their home and life better. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results.
People LOVE what I’m sharing!
My words, projects and ideas have been shared on some of the most popular online sites (and in print) including Oprah.com, HGTV, Real Simple, Better Homes and Gardens, and more. I’ve even been on TV once or twice, with our wee little war-era bungalow reno and makeover tour being shared on the Steven and Chris show across North America.
I’ve been here in this online space for ten years. My original DIY project blog was called AKA Design, in case you happen to remember that, or feel like you remember me from somewhere, but Home Made Lovely doesn’t quite ring a bell.
I’ve spent the last few years expanding on our DIY home projects by adding more help for women and mommas like me who want to create lovely spaces through decorating their homes so they’re not just beautiful, but livable too. Recently, I’ve been adding more and more content for how to have a clutter-free home because my readers have told me over and over that their biggest frustration with their homes is actually too much clutter.
Homes are for living, not for storage.
Why I’m so in love with HOME
When my kids were little and I was an exhausted stay at home momma, I read a book that forever changed how I think about home. It was called The Most Important Place on Earth by Robert Wolgemuth. In it, Mr. Wolgemuth specifically talked about how to have a Christian home that is full of “redemption, forgiveness, hope, laughter and genuine happiness. A home that has discipline and purpose. And grace . . . lots of grace.”
When we were nudged to homeschool our children (then aged two, four and newborn), we had no idea what to expect. But homeschool them we did. And, now looking back sixteen years later and just a couple of years away from the end of our homeschooling journey, it was the best decision we ever could have made. Homeschooling allowed our family to develop relationships I honestly don’t think we ever would have been able to, had we had traditional school schedules.
Homeschooling also meant the kids and I spent a LOT of time at home. And as someone greatly influenced by my surroundings, I quickly realized that I needed to not only nurture and teach our kids, I needed to create a home to do it in that I loved.
Which is when my casual love of beautiful spaces and decor became something I studied and learned to re-create in my own home. Now I spend my days helping and encouraging my fellow mommas to create beauty, function and meaning in their homes too.
Home should be a peaceful and safe place in which to grow, worship and love.
It doesn’t have to be huge, perfect or expensive to be lovely.
It should work for you and your family, not the other way around.
Your unique style will always be better than the trend of the moment.
It’s okay to like pretty things and want them in your home…
As long as they don’t become idols or stumbling blocks to your faith, family or finances.
Not sure where to start?
Here are some of my favorite blog posts to help you
Take one of the courses I created to help mommas like you
A step-by-step guide to decorating your own home, for the woman who’s tired of wasting time and money on decor that doesn’t work.
This is my signature course that’s changing homes everywhere!
It’s the decorating 101 you were never taught, so you can finally make your home look and feel the way you want it to.
The Clutter Fix
Learn how to tame the clutter in every single space in your home – and gain back your sanity!
The Clutter Fix is a step-by-step, room-by-room decluttering course and workbook in one.
In it, I walk you through a complete home decluttering, tackle some key mindset issues, and show you how to keep your home clutter-free going forward. All sprinkled with no-nonsense, loving encouragement for every step of the way!
Pre-order my first traditionally published book, coming September 8th, 2020
Home Made Lovely is a mind-set: decorating should be about those who live there, rather than making your home into a magazine-worthy spread.
In the book, I walk you through how to:
- decorate in a way that suits your family’s real life
- declutter in seven simple steps
- perform a house blessing to dedicate your home to God
- be thankful for your current home and what you already have
- brush up on hospitality with more than 20 actionable ideas that will make anyone feel welcome and loved in your home
In Home Made Lovely, I meet you right where you are on your home-decorating journey, helping you share the peace of Christ with family members and guests.
Come have coffee (or tea or wine) with me on Instagram and Facebook!