Avoid cluttered and scattered-looking decor by decorating with vignettes. Here’s How to Create a Vignette in 5 Easy Steps.
One of the most common emails I get is ‘how do I decorate without creating clutter’. And the best answer I can give is to utilize a very common decorating trick…the vignette. Below is how to create a vignette in 5 easy steps!
Vignettes help to avoid clutter by literally grouping your decor together. This creates breathing space between items and looks much more deliberate than simply having your decor strewn about your house!
How to Create a Vignette in 5 Easy Steps
1. Use a lamp or other anchor piece as one of your items and build your vignette around its base. A lamp has the added bonus of illuminating the vignette when turned on at night. Or use one, two, three major pieces of graduated heights.
2. Work with odd numbers. Three item vignettes are the easiest to start with and are very pleasing to the eye. In my vignette above on the left side of the desk there are three items – the lamp, the photo frame and the small creamer with flowers. Even when you look at the space as a whole, there are 9 photo frames and 5 items on the desk – all odd numbers.
3. Vary the height of the items. When using three items for example, have a tall item, a medium height item and a short item. Or give smaller items height by placing them on a stack of books.
4. Create depth by building the vignette outward from back to front as opposed to lining the items in a row along the length of the surface.
5. Pay attention to the background. Vignettes need a background to anchor them. In my vignette the black and white grid of photos is a great non-intrusive backdrop. A large mirror or framed piece of art also works well.
Go and create at least one vignette!