Did you know that I've wanted a Blanket Ladder for a long time?
Dean and I saw one awhile back at an antiques mall, but it was far too large (and much too pricey) for us. Then one of our lovely contributors made a 30 minute blanket ladder and I wanted to make one of our own too.
DIY Blanket Ladder (for less than $25)
- 3 – 2″ x 4″ x 8′ lengths of wood
- 16 – 3/8″ x 2 1/2″ carriage bolts
- compound miter saw
- 23/64″ drill bit
- measuring tape
- bar clamp
- sun bleached oil-based stain
- dark walnut oil-based stain
- foam brushes
- old rag
To make a DIY blanket ladder, you will need three two-by-fours. Cut two of them to 7 feet long for the side rails. Then from the third, cut four 16 inch long pieces for the rungs. Attach rungs to side rails with carriage bolts. Sand and finish as desired.
1. Cut two of the 2″ x 4″ x 8′ (2x4s) down to 7′ each. These will be the side rails.
2. From the third 2×4 cut four 16″ long pieces. These will make the rungs of the ladder.
3. Sand any rough edges on the side rails and rungs.
4. Using a pencil on each of the 7′ 2x4s place a mark at 18″, 34″, 50″ and 66″ from either end. Using a square, mark a pencil line across the width of the boards.
5. Clamp the rungs in between the two 7′ side rails, centered on each of the pencil lines as shown.
6. To affix the rungs to the side rails, at each marked line, drill one hole 3/4″ from each edge. There will be eight holes on each side rail, for a total of sixteen holes.
7. Hammer one carriage bolt into each hole.
8. Apply sun bleached stain to entire ladder with foam brush. Let sit for 5 minutes and then wipe off excess with an old rag.
9. Apply dark walnut with another foam brush. Let sit for 5 minutes and wipe off excess with an old rag.
10. Let dry until no longer tacky, about 24 hours.
And now we have a blanket ladder of our very own, for less than $25!
So there's a super simple alternative to tracking down a vintage or antique ladder somewhere!
Living Room Source List:
- Wall Color – Sherwin Williams Analytical Grey
- Curtains – Ikea
- Flooring – Sandy Hills Hickory “Handscraped” Laminate from Lumber Liquidators
- Area Rug – Moroccan Trellis in Tan from Rugs USA
- Couch – Ektorp Sectional from Ikea
- Pillow Covers – Porter Lane Home on etsy
- Pillow Inserts – FJÄDRAR inner pillow from Ikea
- Grey Plaid Throw – similar here
- Oversized Clock – Fulton St. Wall Clock from Wayfair
- Grey Knit Poufs – Addison Pouf Ottoman in Grey from Wayfair
- Chandelier – Hampton Bay Heritage 6-Light Iron Chandelier from The Home Depot
- Large Square Coffee Table – DIY Brickmaker’s Coffee Table found here
- Large Square Tray – Homesense
- Large Vase – Walmart
- Faux Pink Stems/Flowers – Michael's
- Electric Fireplace – Canadian Tire
- Corner Floor Lamp – Logan Floor Lamp from Wayfair
- Leaning ladder – DIY Ladder Made with 2”x4”s found here
(Our source list contains affiliate links. That just means that we make a few pennies at no extra cost to you, should you purchase anything via one of the links. Thank you for helping to make this site possible! xo, Shannon)
Let's Hang Out!
Sign up for our newsletters to get the latest from Home Made Lovely! We'll brighten up your inbox with doable decorating ideas, crafts and DIY projects you can make and delish recipes for your family. Get it all delivered to your inbox, plus tips and tools for adding a little creativity to your life!