The perfect easy recipe for the end of the week or right before grocery day! Chicken and rice casserole made from pantry ingredients.
Do you ever have one of those days when you realize that the groceries you bought for the week have either run out or gone bad and everyone’s asking what’s for dinner? But before the panic sets in and you reach for the takeout menus, remember that the solution for a wholesome, homemade meal is right in your pantry. Like this chicken and rice casserole…
Canned foods mean less prep and year-round availability, making healthy, homemade meals a reality, more often. A well-stocked pantry helps you get through the week with creative meals you can feel good about serving your family and friends.
With canned food staples like canned chicken, veggies and coconut milk on-hand, you can easily make dinner in a flash!
- 2 cups instant rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans pieces & stems mushrooms
- 1 can flaked chicken
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1-3 tsp red curry paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup broccoli, steamed and chopped (optional)
- 2 tbsp cheese or Daiya cheese substitute, optional
- Cook instant rice according to package directions.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet.
- Saute onions about 1-2 minutes until translucent.
- Add mushrooms and saute another 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, chicken and rice. Stir to combine.
- Add coconut milk, curry paste, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add broccoli if using and stir again.
- Place all in a casserole dish. Top with cheese (optional).
- Place under the broiler set on low for 5 minutes or until top of casserole is lightly browned and/or cheese is melted.
- Serve hot.
This has been a surprise family favorite – so much so that it’s a planned meal each week now!
Do you cook with foods from your pantry? What’s your favorite day-before-groceries supper?