Smashed brussel sprouts make a surprisingly tasty side dishes. Learn how to make delicious cheesy DAIRY FREE smashed brussel sprouts with this recipe!
Once in awhile I stumble upon a delicious side dish that I’d love to make for my family. But often I can’t because it’s full of dairy or gluten. When I found this recipe for smashed brussel sprouts, I was so taken with it that I decided to modify it to fit our dairy free, gluten free lifestyle. By replacing the cheese with both nutritional yeast and Daiya cheese shreds, I was able to replicate the ooey-gooey goodness of the original recipe, with no dairy!
Do you ever come across a recipe you wish you could make for your family, but can’t because of some of the ingredients? Are you an experimenter when it comes to recipes and food? Or do you generally stick to the same few recipes?
My friends say I’m an experimenter because I am a creative person. I think I generally try new recipes because I get bored by the same recipes over and over again. I also blame this love of creating new twists on old recipes – or making sauces for everything – on the fact that Dean and I used to eat out a lot. That, and I love to make food my family and friends will devour! It’s sort of my way of loving on them around the table.
- 1-2 lbs brussel sprouts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup Daiya shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking dish or cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place brussels sprouts in a pot of salted water. Cook on high for about 10 minutes, or until brussel sprouts are bright green.
- Drain blanched brussel sprouts and place in prepared baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil. Add garlic, thyme, salt and pepper and toss.
- Using a mug or a glass bottom, 'smash' each brussel sprout.
- Sprinkle with nutritional yeast and Daiya cheese.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 25 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 209 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 14mg Sodium: 218mg Carbohydrates: 18g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 4g Protein: 10g
I like to serve this baked side with an oven roasted chicken or even our family favorite, slow cooker roast beef.