Mac and Cheese is pure comfort food. This butternut squash mac and cheese is perfect if you’re trying to lose weight, if you have a picky eater or if you just want a variation on a classic.
Mac and Cheese is pure comfort food. But when you’re trying to slim down, you have a picky eater and all your kids can’t eat cheese, it becomes a quest to find a recipe that can be adapted for everyone in the family. So I adapted my own Dairy Free Gluten Free Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese from this Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese recipe.
Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese (Dairy and Gluten Free)
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 package gluten free brown rice pasta
- 1/2 cup gluten free bread crumbs
- 1/2 - 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup original almond milk
- 1 cup Daiya cheddar flavor cheese shreds
- 2 tbsp soy or other dairy free yogurt almond, coconut
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp HP sauce or gluten free Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a 9" x 13" glass baking dish.
- Cut squash in half, scoop out seeds. Microwave covered for about 8 minutes.
- Remove from microwave and scoop into food processor. Add broth, milk, Daiya, yogurt, garlic, HP or Worcestershire Sauce, Dijon Mustard, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Meanwhile cook pasta according to package directions. Drain well and place in prepared baking dish.
- Add cheese and squash mixture to pasta and stir well.
- Sprinkle gluten free bread crumbs over top of pasta and lightly spray with olive oil.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes or until bubbly. If desired broil on low for 5 minutes to brown the top.
Everyone in our family LOVES this dish…
Including the picky eater!
For even more vegetables serve with a side salad or steamed broccoli.
What’s your favorite mac and cheese recipe?