In this post: Updating your curb appeal is easy when the weather cooperates! We’ve already added windows and hinges to the garage door. Now we’re painting the front doors black and adding plants!
A little while ago we started working on the curb appeal at this house – no easy feat since we moved in mid-November and then had a long wet winter and spring to contend with. I was practically going nuts waiting for everything to warm up and dry out long enough to paint and add plants! But we’ve finally made some progress.
Of course to appreciate the after, you need to know what the before was like:
Not horrible at all and typically I rather like red front doors. But this house was just itching for some elegant BLACK front doors and cohesiveness. Of course there’s still a pop of red coming from the red berry wreaths.
As you can see the doors didn’t get changed, instead we simply painted them in Tricorn Black by Sherwin Williams (which is the same as the color we painted the interior side of the doors in the winter).
And much like our last house, we added some fun script lettering to the doors with decals from here.
CURB APPEAL TO DO LIST
While we’ve not quite managed to do all the things – everything takes time and money, right? – we have knocked a few of the big items off of our original list.
Paint front doors black
- Repaint the column (the paint is all weathered and chippy)
- Repaint garage man-door (it’s very worn and messy looking)
Add some detail to the garage door
- Replace light fixtures on garage and under porch (we haven’t changed these yet, be we did swap out the spiral bulbs for less ugly, but still cost-effective bulbs)
- Maybe add shutters on the upstairs two windows
Change the door knobs/locks(always a must when buying a new house anyway) Add landscaping and gardening Add a street number sign
Now I just have to wait for the plants to fill out…there should be some beautiful hydrangeas, clematis and wave petunias in a few short weeks!
More curb appeal
For more of our current house’s curb appeal projects, visit these posts:
- Working on the Curb Appeal Part 1 – Upgrading the Garage Doors
- Working on the Curb Appeal Part 2 – Painting the Front Doors Black (+ Plants)
- Upgrading the Front Door Hardware
- An Easy Solution to Peeling Outdoor Paint
- Curb Appeal 101 – 14 Ideas for Spring Landscaping
To see our previous house’s curb appeal projects, visit these posts:
- Introducing the Curb Appeal Series
- Curb Appeal Series: The Garden
- Curb Appeal Series: The Flagstone Walkway
- Foundation Refacing – How to Cover a Cinder Block Foundation
- Curb Appeal the Big Reveal (at the Bungalow)
- 3 Budget-Friendly Summer Porch Makeover Ideas (at the Backsplit)
Have you been able to do much with your curb appeal yet this year?
Curb Appeal Source List:
Front Door Paint – Sherwin Williams Tricorn Black