Roast beef is a classic filling & nutritious supper. This slow cooker roast beef dinner recipe is extra simple because the roast is cooked in the slower cooker from frozen!
A roast beef dinner is one of those classic meals that is all at once comforting, filling, and nutritious. And there is nothing like coming home to a home cooked meal all ready and waiting after a long day of work. (Or smelling it cook all day if you work from home!) This slow cooker roast beef dinner recipe is a quick, easy, one pot, mess-free meal!
AND it gets bonus points for next to no prep work because it’s not necessary to thaw the roast first!
Can you put a frozen roast in a slow cooker or Crockpot? The answer is YES! Simply add a cup of room temperature liquid (broth or water) to the bottom of your slow cooker. Place the frozen roast in the Crockpot and THEN turn it on. If a roast is frozen, cook on high for an extra 2 hours or on low for an extra 4-6 hours.
Slow Cooker Roast Beef Dinner
- One 1.5-1.8 kg 3-4 pounds beef roast
- One 454 g approx. 16 oz bag baby carrots
- 8-10 potatoes
- 1/2 red onion
- One 900 mL approx. 4 cups carton beef broth OR 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup red wine/cooking wine/sherry
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. each rosemary sage, savory, thyme and salt
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire/HP Sauce
- Spray slow cooker with non-stick spray or olive oil.
- Cut potatoes into 1-2 in. pieces.
- Cut onions into chunks. (I leave mine large to add flavor but so the kids can pick around them!)
- Place roast in center of slow cooker.
- Surround roast with potatoes and then carrots.
- Top with onions.
- Pour beef broth or water and wine/sherry over everything.
- Submerge bay leaf into liquid.
- Sprinkle with herbs, spices and Worcestershire/HP sauce.
- Cover and cook until roast is cooked through approximately on high for 4 hours or low 8 hours.
This slow cooker roast beef dinner can be served with gravy made from drippings or broth, horseradish and a side salad if desired!