Roast beef is a classic filling & nutritious supper. This slow cooker roast beef dinner recipe is extra simple because the roast is cooked in the slower cooker from frozen!
A roast beef dinner is one of those classic meals that is all at once comforting, filling, and nutritious. And there is nothing like coming home to a home cooked meal all ready and waiting after a long day of work. (Or smelling it cook all day if you work from home!) This slow cooker roast beef dinner recipe is a quick, easy, one pot, mess-free meal!
AND it gets bonus points for next to no prep work because it's not necessary to thaw the roast first!
Can you put a frozen roast in a slow cooker or Crockpot? The answer is YES! Simply add a cup of room temperature liquid (broth or water) to the bottom of your slow cooker. Place the frozen roast in the Crockpot and THEN turn it on. If a roast is frozen, cook on high for an extra 2 hours or on low for an extra 4-6 hours.
Slow Cooker Roast Beef Dinner
- One 1.5-1.8 kg 3-4 pounds beef roast
- One 454 g approx. 16 oz bag baby carrots
- 8-10 potatoes
- 1/2 red onion
- One 900 mL approx. 4 cups carton beef broth OR 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup red wine/cooking wine/sherry
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. each rosemary sage, savory, thyme and salt
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire/HP Sauce
- Spray slow cooker with non-stick spray or olive oil.
- Cut potatoes into 1-2 in. pieces.
- Cut onions into chunks. (I leave mine large to add flavor but so the kids can pick around them!)
- Place roast in center of slow cooker.
- Surround roast with potatoes and then carrots.
- Top with onions.
- Pour beef broth or water and wine/sherry over everything.
- Submerge bay leaf into liquid.
- Sprinkle with herbs, spices and Worcestershire/HP sauce.
- Cover and cook until roast is cooked through approximately on high for 4 hours or low 8 hours.
This slow cooker roast beef dinner can be served with gravy made from drippings or broth, horseradish and a side salad if desired!
Have you ever tried to cook a roast from frozen in your slow cooker before?
Get our FREE Meal Planning Printable!
Just fill out your email and click the button to get instant access to our meal planning printable - plus how to meal plan in 6 simple steps!
Make meal prep easier and save money by meal planning this week!