In this post: We’re starting a new series – The Curb Appeal Series – to improve the curb appeal and outside front of our wee bungalow.
Today we’re starting a new series here on aka design called The Curb Appeal Series – a summer series chock full of tips, tricks & ideas for improving your home’s curb appeal. All with projects sponsored by our friends at The Home Depot! We are super excited to get going, but first…what is curb appeal?
Curb Appeal is defined by wikipedia as the attractiveness of the exterior of a residential or commercial property.
If you’re selling your home, it’s common knowledge that one of the very first things you should do is improve your home’s curb appeal. Curb appeal is the first impression others have of your house. There’s a reason the half-hour Curb Appeal TV series has aired on HGTV from 2002 until now – curb appeal matters and people want to know how to make the most of it!
Even if you’re not looking to sell, you can improve your home’s curb appeal for your own enjoyment – which is what we’re doing with this series. We have a slew of projects big and small up our sleeves and we’re going to share the low-down on each one with all of you! Did we mention The Home Depot is sponsoring a few of said projects?!
To get you started, here are a three quick tips from Better Homes & Gardens for improving your home’s curb appeal right now:
1. Replace old door hardware. If your current hardware is out of date or dingy, consider replacing it to bring your home’s aesthetic into the now.
2. Dress up the front door. Make a statement by painting your door with a vibrant colour like red or yellow. Or pretty up a solid door with a seasonal wreath that suits your personal style.
3. Create an instant (if temporary) garden using potted greens and flowers. Use several planters lined up your steps or on either side of your door.
We’ll be back later today to share an article that’s super important for curb appeal: greening up your lawn – plus five common grass-growing mistakes – from The Family Handyman magazine.
More curb appeal
For more of our current house’s curb appeal projects, visit these posts:
- Working on the Curb Appeal Part 1 – Upgrading the Garage Doors
- Working on the Curb Appeal Part 2 – Painting the Front Doors Black (+ Plants)
- Upgrading the Front Door Hardware
- An Easy Solution to Peeling Outdoor Paint
- Curb Appeal 101 – 14 Ideas for Spring Landscaping
To see our previous house’s curb appeal projects, visit these posts: