Pure comfort food, in a hurry, without any bad stuff! Our Homemade Hamburger Helper Recipe is simple to make and tastes great! And it can be made dairy free and gluten free too!
I’m fairly certain if you grew up in North America you’ve probably had Hamburger Helper. If you don’t know what that is or what I’m talking about, let me explain. Hamburger is ground meat – beef, turkey, chicken, pork. It’s inexpensive and quick to cook. Hamburger Helper is a boxed package of spices and dry pasta that you mix into cooked hamburger to make a meal. But if you’re gluten and dairy free (or you want to avoid a laundry list of unpronounceable pseudo-foods) Hamburger Helper is no bueno. So what do you do if you want a bowl of creamy pasta and hamburger goodness without all the gluten and chemicals? You make our homemade hamburger helper recipe, of course!
Homemade Hamburger Helper Recipe (Gluten Free, Dairy Free)
A bowl full of creamy gluten free hamburger helper goodness - without gluten or dairy!
- .5 kg / 1 lb ground beef
- 454 g / 16 oz spiral rice pasta
- 1 tsp each paprika oregano, parsley, salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup milk almond, soy, rice
- 1/2 cup cheddar flavored Daiya or other non-dairy grated cheese substitute
- On medium heat, brown ground beef in a large skillet until no longer pink. Drain off fat.
- Meanwhile cook pasta according to package directions. Strain and set aside.
- Add spices, mustard and garlic to cooked meat in skillet. Stir.
- Carefully pour broth and milk into skillet. Stir to thoroughly combine with meat and spices.
- Add pasta and stir to coat.
- Cook until heated through.
Serve the homemade hamburger helper hot with a side salad or steamed broccoli for a complete meal.
So have you ever had Hamburger Helper? Did you like it? Do you make your own homemade Hamburger Helper Recipe?