Pure comfort food, in a hurry, without any bad stuff! Our Homemade Hamburger Helper Recipe is simple to make and tastes great! And it can be made dairy free and gluten free too!
I’m fairly certain if you grew up in North America you’ve probably had Hamburger Helper. If you don’t know what that is or what I’m talking about, let me explain. Hamburger is ground meat – beef, turkey, chicken, pork. It’s inexpensive and quick to cook. Hamburger Helper is a boxed package of spices and dry pasta that you mix into cooked hamburger to make a meal. But if you’re gluten and dairy free (or you want to avoid a laundry list of unpronounceable pseudo-foods) Hamburger Helper is no bueno. So what do you do if you want a bowl of creamy pasta and hamburger goodness without all the gluten and chemicals? You make our homemade hamburger helper recipe, of course!
- .5 kg / 1 lb ground beef
- 454 g / 16 oz spiral rice pasta
- 1 tsp each paprika, oregano, parsley, salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup milk, almond, soy, rice
- 1/2 cup cheddar flavored Daiya, or other non-dairy grated cheese substitute
- On medium heat, brown ground beef in a large skillet until no longer pink. Drain off fat.
- Meanwhile cook pasta according to package directions. Strain and set aside.
- Add spices, mustard and garlic to cooked meat in skillet. Stir.
- Carefully pour broth and milk into skillet. Stir to thoroughly combine with meat and spices.
- Add pasta and stir to coat.
- Cook until heated through.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 415 Total Fat: 19g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 77mg Sodium: 445mg Carbohydrates: 36g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 2g Protein: 27g
Serve the homemade hamburger helper hot with a Caesar salad or steamed broccoli for a complete meal.