In this post: Sometimes room makeovers take awhile. It can be the same with curb appeal. Here’s what we’re working on with the new house’s curb appeal.
Have you ever looked at a house (maybe your own) and KNOWN that you wanted to update the curb appeal? Maybe add some details that just seem to be missing? Like windows and coach house style hinges to your garage doors?
Well when I saw our new house for the first time, I knew it had great bones. I mean, it’s grey. There are no permanently weird colors or awkward features (except maybe the lamp post that doesn’t work in the middle of our lawn!).
But I also knew that there were a few updates I wanted to make.
Curb Appeal To Do List:
- Paint front doors black
- Repaint the column (the paint is all weathered and chippy)
- Repaint garage man-door (it’s very worn and messy looking)
- Add some detail to the garage door
- Replace light fixtures on garage and under porch
- Maybe add shutters on the upstairs two windows
- Add landscaping and gardening
- Add a street number sign
So What Have We Accomplished So Far?
Honestly, I was really hoping to be further along than we are already, but spring took its sweet time getting here. And now that it’s here, it rains every other day, so painting anything outside has been near impossible.
I did get the chance to sit down with my brother-in-law and he put together a plan for landscaping the front yard (he was a landscaper/horticulturalist before he switched to insurance as a profession). I’m very excited about planting some pretty things in the two existing gardens. And down the road, he’s got a fabulously gorgeous plan for an additional garden space around the lamp post.
Like I said there’s landscaping and painting to do, which I’m totally chomping at the bit to get to. But so far we have managed to add some character and detail to the garage doors.
We used a couple of kits from Coach House Accents:
They are plastic, but they are gorgeous, easy to install and extremely durable.
I cannot wait to make further progress on the curb appeal in the coming months.
More curb appeal
For more of our current house’s curb appeal projects, visit these posts:
- Working on the Curb Appeal Part 1 – Upgrading the Garage Doors
- Working on the Curb Appeal Part 2 – Painting the Front Doors Black (+ Plants)
- Upgrading the Front Door Hardware
- An Easy Solution to Peeling Outdoor Paint
- Curb Appeal 101 – 14 Ideas for Spring Landscaping
To see our previous house’s curb appeal projects, visit these posts:
- Introducing the Curb Appeal Series
- Curb Appeal Series: The Garden
- Curb Appeal Series: The Flagstone Walkway
- Foundation Refacing – How to Cover a Cinder Block Foundation
- Curb Appeal the Big Reveal (at the Bungalow)
- 3 Budget-Friendly Summer Porch Makeover Ideas (at the Backsplit)