So you don't love your bathroom as is, but you don't have the time, money or desire to redo the entire thing?
Well I say you don't have to renovate the whole room to improve how it looks dramatically.
All it takes is knowing what will make the most difference. Or as they say, knowing what will give you the most bang for your (sometimes tiny) buck!
10 Ways to Freshen Up Your Bathroom
1. A coat of paint. This is mentioned so often, I think it's actually often ignored. But a brand new colour, or even just a fresh layer of the current colour, will go a long way to perking up your bathroom. It's true. Try it. I bet you'll be surprised!
2. New towels. Even just new hand towels if you really can't spare the change to by a whole new set. A fun twist on matching hand towels to your bathroom decor is to put out seasonal towels: burnt orange in the fall, deep crimson at Christmas-time. Or, if your towels are in good shape, add some monogrammed facecloths or hand towels. You can find the traditional style in the big box home stores or something more unique and whimsical at online shops like etsy.
3. Fresh soap. Yup, I said fresh soap. Put your liquid hand soap in a pretty pump, or buy it in a pump with a cool label. Places like Homesense and Winners have inexpensive versions that look fab. Or put out a few gorgeous handmade soap bars. The Body Shop, LUSH, Bath & Body Works and Fruits & Passion are just a few of my favorite big-name places for handmade-look and feel soap. Not to mention the scents!
4. A new shower curtain. Assuming you have a standard sized bathtub (and no glass shower doors), your shower curtain definitely makes an impression on your bathroom's visitors. A normal shower curtain is about 70 x 72 inches, which is a great amount of space to add some drama or to brighten up your water closet.
5. A shiny new faucet. Don't underestimate how nice a shiny faucet can look. Or if you prefer go for a bronzed- or black-look tap. They are plentiful at the big box stores, but remember to have a look at your local Habitat for Humanity Restore too.
6. New lighting. If you are lucky enough to have a ceiling fixture, you can put up a glam new chandelier or pendant light. But even if you just have old vanity lights, you can bring your bathroom at least into this decade with a new fixture.
7. New containers to corral bathroom necessities. Be it baskets, boxes, buckets or other containers, organizing your toiletries can be a snap…and can help keep your space good-looking too.
8. Plants or fresh flowers. If you have a window in your bathroom, this is a really simple and easy way to make your space fresh. If you do not have natural light you can either add plants that require next to no light (think spider plants, dracaena or ferns) or you can pop into Homesense, Michaels (with a coupon!) or Ikea for some inexpensive artificial greens.
9. Spa-inspired toiletries. Sea sponges, loofahs, bath salts and candles can all take a bathroom from hum drum to wow. These can easily be found at your local drug store, dollar store or Walmart.
10. De-clutter and reorganize. This is a simple and absolutely zero-cost improvement and should really come first on any room revamp list. If you don't know where to start organizing, read about Organizing in 5 Easy Steps here.
So there you have it, 10 Ways to Freshen Up A Bathroom! Now, which one are you gonna try first?
Let's Hang Out!
Sign up for our newsletters to get the latest from Home Made Lovely! We'll brighten up your inbox with doable decorating ideas, crafts and DIY projects you can make and delish recipes for your family. Get it all delivered to your inbox, plus tips and tools for adding a little creativity to your life!