Gluten free, dairy free poutine. Made with a small amount of butter (or healthy butter substitute, broth and non-dairy cheese substitute. Delicious!
Every once in awhile I feel a little bit deprived because of generally avoiding dairy products and gluten. I certainly feel better being gluten free and dairy free, but there are just those foods that I miss. Like Poutine. Mmm, ooey gooey Poutine. Okay so it’s not a healthy food. Or an everyday food. But is sure is nice for a treat. Which is why I decided to come up with a Poutine recipe I could make at home that is gluten free and dairy free – and a little healthier than the typical restaurant version.
Real French Canadian poutine is made from french fries, light gravy and cheese curds. And it is heavenly!
But being gluten free means no convenient store-bought gravy because store-bought gravies are filled with wheat (and I’m pretty sure a whole lot of artery-clogging fat too). Cheese curds are definitely out of the question if you can’t have dairy. (I’m okay with some dairy, my kids not at all so I wanted to find an option for them too.)
So homemade gravy and cheese substitute it is!
Gluten Free Dairy Free Poutine | Recipe
- Frozen French Fries
- 1 tbsp. Healthy Butter Substitute such as Becel Vegan or Earth Balance
- 2-4 tbsp. Rice Flour
- 1 C. Beef Broth
- 1 C. Daiya shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In saucepan over medium heat melt butter substitute.
- Meanwhile, spray cookie sheet with oil and spread french fries in one layer. Place in oven and cook according to package directions. Generally at about 450 degrees for 20-30 minutes.
- Once butter is melted, begin to stir in rice flour a little at a time. Continue adding flour until butter and flour become a paste (roux).
- Then whisk in beef broth, a little at a time allowing gravy to thicken before adding more broth.
- Once gravy is made and fries are cooked, divide fries onto plates. Sprinkle with a generous amount of Daiya (vegan cheese). Pour gravy over the Daiya so it melts. Sprinkle with a little salt (if desired) and enjoy!
Get ready for a yummy treat!
You can thank me later!