In this post: Microwave scrambled eggs are soft, fluffy, and easy to make. These scrambled eggs with just a few ingredients are a healthy breakfast for one (or two). Learn how to cook scrambled eggs in the microwave here.
Some weeks our family consumes a LOT of eggs. The older kiddos make omelets, quiche, poached, boiled, fried (over hard and over easy), and scrambled eggs. But sometimes everyone can’t agree on the ingredients to add. And sometimes I really would rather not dirty a fry pan or baking dish! So I came up with these microwave scrambled eggs.
kid person can choose the veggies they’d like to add and it can be changed up each time. Plus there are no pots and pans to clean!
What Are Microwave Scrambled Eggs
Microwave scrambled eggs are simply scrambled eggs that you make in the microwave instead of on the stove.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s quick and easy to make.
- There are minimal dishes to clean up.
- Even kids can make them!
- They’re easy to customize for preferences or dietary needs.
- It’s protein-rich.
Microwave Scrambled Eggs Ingredients
The only ingredient you really need in these microwave scrambled eggs are:
Or you can add any of these optional ingredients before cooking the eggs:
- cheese or non-dairy cheese
- vegetables like green onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, peppers, asparagus, broccoli, spinach
- meats like bacon, ham, or sausage pieces (or vegetarian alternatives)
- spices and seasonings like garlic powder, salt & pepper, smoked paprika
You can also make these eggs and add toppings after they’re cooked. Here are a few ideas:
- cooked crumbled bacon
- diced cook ham
- chopped tomatoes
- fresh herbs like parsley, cilantro, or dill
- avocado chunks
- shredded cheese
- hot sauce or sriracha
- leftover sauteed or roasted veggies
- salsa or even spaghetti sauce
How to Make Microwave Scrambled Eggs
- Crack egg(s) into mug/microwave-safe cup.
- Add other ingredients
- Stir or mix well with a mini whisk or a fork.
- Microwave on high for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve hot.
You could serve these scrambled eggs:
- On their own as a quick breakfast
- With fresh fruit on the side
- In a bagel or with toast as a breakfast sandwich
Microwave Scrambled Egg Tips
- Do not cook eggs in the microwave in the shell or they may explode.
- Ensure your dish is large enough to hold the number of eggs and extra ingredients you’re cooking.
- Make sure the eggs are cooked before consuming.
Are Microwaved Eggs Healthy?
Yes, they’re perfectly fine.
Do I Have to Use a Mug?
No, you can use any microwave-safe dish.
Can I Cook Just 1 Egg?
Yup! Just start with 25-30 seconds and then add 10 seconds at a time if the egg is not cooked.
Can I Double This Recipe?
Yes. Just make sure your dish is large enough.
How Will I Know the Eggs Are Cooked?
You will know when the eggs are cooked because they will no longer “jiggle” in the cup. Or you can use a thermometer and ensure the eggs are cooked to internal doneness of 165 degrees F.
How to Store
Store cooked eggs in an air-tight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
- These microwave scrambled eggs are already gluten-free.
- If you’re vegetarian simply omit any meat or use vegetarian options like tempeh.
- Make this recipe dairy-free by omitting any cheese, or by using dairy-free alternatives.
Is your family big on eggs? What recipes are your favorite?
- 1-2 eggs
- 1 tbsp each veggies of choice: peppers, onions, spinach, mushrooms or kale, diced
- 1 tbsp bacon or sausage, diced
- 1 tsp cheese, grated
- Crack egg(s) into mug/microwave safe cup.
- Add other ingredients
- Mix well with a mini whisk or a fork.
- Microwave on high 1-2 minutes
- Serve hot.