So you want to create a gallery wall somewhere in your home. Here's the quick and easy way to make sure you do it right the first time – without unnecessary holes in the wall!
When faced with a large expanse of space in a room, a gallery wall is such a great decorating element to use.
Not only can you stylishly share family photos, but other artwork can be mixed in together. And if you keep the frames in a cohesive style or color a gallery wall can make for a very impressive statement wall.
We have used gallery walls in several rooms and spaces over the years as I worked out our own decorating style.
How to Put Together Your Own Gallery Wall – The Easy Way!
- framed photos and artwork
- hammer, nails, screws, screwdriver
- brown kraft paper
- painter's tape or masking tape
1. To start a gallery wall you need a big blank space.
2. Collect your framed photos and artwork: family photos, art prints, silhouettes and other mementos.
3. Then trace each frame onto a roll of brown Kraft paper, labelling each one with the art, the frame colour (so you don't have all black on one side or anything) and the orientation (portrait or landscape)
4. Using painters tape, arrange each paper frame template on the wall starting with all the large frames first, filling in the spaces with smaller frames. Make necessary adjustments with the kraft paper templates because they're so much easier to move. Plus they leave far fewer holes in the wall!
5. For each frame, measure the location of the hanger on the back. Then measure it onto the coordinating paper frame.
6. Affix your hanger right through the paper frame template in the marked location to the wall.
Have you ever hung a gallery wall? Do you have any questions before you start your own gallery wall?
Let's Hang Out!
Sign up for our newsletters to get the latest from Home Made Lovely! We'll brighten up your inbox with doable decorating ideas, crafts and DIY projects you can make and delish recipes for your family. Get it all delivered to your inbox, plus tips and tools for adding a little creativity to your life!