Slow cooker cabbage casserole tastes just like cabbage rolls – without all the work! Let it simmer in the crock pot all day and enjoy for dinner!
I’m a big fan of my slow cooker. Well, except for cleaning it. That I don’t like too much. It’s so heavy! Anyway, this time of year is the perfect time to make comfort foods in a crock pot or slow cooker. The yummy scent that fills the house as foods gently simmer all day. Mmm. One of my favorite comfort foods are cabbage rolls. But they’re rather time consuming and tricky to make. Remember, I like quick and easy. That goes for crafts and recipes. So I’ve combined a few recipes to make a Slow Cooker Cabbage Casserole.
Tastes like cabbage rolls but takes far less effort to make!
- .5 kg/1 lb ground chicken, turkey or pork
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp Hungarian paprika
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
- 4 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 28 ounce can strained/crushed tomatoes*
- 1 tsp each oregano, paprika, parsley*
- 1/2 tsp sugar*
- Spray slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Spread raw ground meat along bottom of slow cooker.
- Add the onions, garlic, salt, pepper, paprika and thyme.
- Add cabbage and rice.
- Pour diced tomatoes on top.
- Mix sugar, oregano and parsley into strained/crushed tomatoes. Pour over everything.*
- Cover and cook on low for about 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- When done, remove lid, stir and serve.
Can replace sugar, oregano, paprika, parsley and strained/crushed tomatoes with a jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce.
Cooled cabbage casserole can also be frozen in freezer bags (or other freezer packages) and reheated later!