Pretty cotton napkins can be such a stunning addition to a table setting. We show you how to make cloth napkins in a few easy steps!
Like we mentioned in last week's post, we've been working on the dining room. It's actually finished – except for the floor which will come soon (check #projectlaminate on twitter and instagram for updates).
We just can't show you yet.
But it's gorgeous!!! And we can hardly stand waiting to share it with you!
We did share our re-purposed hutch/step back cupboard last week. And today we're going to show you the napkins we made for the dining room reveal.
You know, just to tease you a little more!
How To Make Cloth Napkins
- Two yards/meters of cotton fabric – washed, dried and ironed
- Sewing machine
- Straight pins
- Ironing board
1. Decide on napkin size. Ours are of the smaller dinner napkin size. Then measure and cut out as many as you need from your cotton fabric. We chose to make 8, even though our new table only seats 6. Just in case.
2. With the cut napkin face down, fold and iron the corners in, as shown above.
3. Now fold in and iron about a half inch all the way around (started in photo above).
4. Repeat with a second fold, making the corners meeting all neat and tidy (as shown above). Pin all four corners.
5. Trim off the little piece of excess fabric.
6. Using a sewing machine, sew around the napkin near the outside edge and then again near the inside edge of the hem.
That's it! Easy peasy! Now go set a pretty table!
Do you prefer paper or cloth napkins? Have you ever made your own cloth napkins? Do you have a favorite spot to purchase pretty napkins – cloth or paper?
PS. We made smaller linen napkins here, but I like size and the corners on these cotton ones much better!
Let's Hang Out!
Sign up for our newsletters to get the latest from Home Made Lovely! We'll brighten up your inbox with doable decorating ideas, crafts and DIY projects you can make and delish recipes for your family. Get it all delivered to your inbox, plus tips and tools for adding a little creativity to your life!