Don’t have time to mess with pastry for a crust? Try this chicken pot pie with quick spooned on crust recipe any night of the week!
But who has time for making the crust on a busy day? Not me! Plus I’m actually kinda terrible at pastry of any kind.
So instead of avoiding chicken pot pie all together, I’ve tweaked and re-tweaked this old recipe with a quick spooned on crust for years. Now it’s one of our family favorites!
For the Filling
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3-5 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup frozen peas, green beans (or a mix)
- 1-2 cups leftover cooked chicken, cubed/shredded
- 2 tbsp roux, 1 tbsp melted butter + 1 tbsp rice flour, mixed well
- 1 tbsp sage
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp pepper
For the Quick Spooned On Crust
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp melted butter
- Combine all of the filling ingredients in a sauce pan and stir over low heat until thickened.
- Pour into a 9" x 13" glass baking dish, set aside.
- Mix crust ingredients together in a large measuring cup.
- Spoon on or pour over filling.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes, or until crust is light brown and pot pie is bubbling.