Don’t have time to mess with pastry for a crust? Try this chicken pot pie with quick spooned on crust recipe any night of the week!
Mmm. Chicken pot pie has got to be one of my most favorite comfort foods ever. It’s right up there with homemade Shepherd’s Pie, Lasagna and a nice Roast Beef Dinner!
But who has time for making the crust on a busy day? Not me! Plus I’m actually kinda terrible at pastry of any kind.
So instead of avoiding chicken pot pie all together, I’ve tweaked and re-tweaked this old recipe with a quick spooned on crust for years. Now it’s one of our family favorites!
Chicken Pot Pie with Quick Spooned On Crust
Yield: 6 -8 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Don't have time to mess with pastry for a crust? Try this chicken pot pie with quick spooned on crust recipe any night of the week!
For the Filling
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3-5 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup frozen peas, green beans (or a mix)
- 1-2 cups leftover cooked chicken, cubed/shredded
- 2 tbsp roux, 1 tbsp melted butter + 1 tbsp rice flour, mixed well
- 1 tbsp sage
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp pepper
For the Quick Spooned On Crust
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp melted butter
- Combine all of the filling ingredients in a sauce pan and stir over low heat until thickened.
- Pour into a 9" x 13" glass baking dish, set aside.
- Mix crust ingredients together in a large measuring cup.
- Spoon on or pour over filling.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes, or until crust is light brown and pot pie is bubbling.
Serve with a side salad or on its own.