Filled with potatoes, several different vegetables and of course beef, this slow cooker beef stew is simple to make, delicious & smells great while cooking!
I think I’ve mentioned before how much I love my slow cooker, no matter what the season. It makes it so much easier to serve healthy meals even when life is busy. And slow cookers are ridiculously easy to use. Case in point, this slow cooker beef stew recipe. Filled with potatoes, several different vegetables and of course beef, it’s comforting and filling. It also smells delicious simmering in the slow cooker all day!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 lbs cubed stewing beef, *see notes for substitution
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1 red onion, diced
- 6-8 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp tapioca starch
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- Pour olive oil into slow cooker. Spread around all surfaces. This should help the food not burn or stick to the crock.
- Add stewing beef and pour wine over top.
- Add herbs and spices.
- Add vegetables, layered in this order: onion, potatoes, carrots, green beans, peas.
- Pour broth and 1 cup of water over meat and vegetables.
- Cook in slow cooker on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours.
- Dissolve tapioca starch into 2 tsp of cold water and stir into stew. Let simmer for 30-60 minutes longer, or until vegetables are soft and meat is cooked thoroughly.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 497 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 12mg Sodium: 591mg Carbohydrates: 95g Fiber: 12g Sugar: 9g Protein: 17g
- You can used frozen beef if you forget to thaw it before hand. Just use the longer cook time suggested.
- The ‘stewing beef’ in the recipe can actually be replaced with ground beef. If you choose extra lean ground beef you can put it in the crockpot like the stewing beef. If you have a fattier ground beef, I suggest cooking it and draining off the fat/grease before adding it to the slow cooker.
- If you’d like you can serve this slow cooker beef stew with biscuits or a side salad for a larger/fancier meal with guests.
- You can also substitute fresh or frozen vegetables with frozen or canned. If using canned, adjust cooking time accordingly.
- I don’t suggest mixing frozen beef with canned vegetables in the slow cooker as the veggies will likely be mush by the time the meat is cooked!
Our slow cooker beef stew has become a staple at our house. It’s a dinner much loved and requested by everyone, even our picky eaters!
Do you like beef stew? Have you made it in a slow cooker?
For even more slow cooker recipes, be sure to visit my blog friends below:
Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon by Kim of Kim Power Style
Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup by Jo-Anna of A Pretty Life
Cheesy Sweet Potato and Bacon Soup by Tara of Suburble
Weight Watchers Crock Pot Chicken Tacos by Virginia of Fynes Designs
Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken with Peppers by Christina of The DIY Mommy
Slow Cooker Hot Fudge Cake by Kendra of Joy In Our Home
Slow Cooker Chicken Fajita Chili by Christine of Amidst the Chaos
Slow Cooker Apple Sauce by Jen of Kitchen Counter Chronicles
Slow Cooker Beef Stew by Shannon of Home Made Lovely
Mexican Pulled Pork by Sarah of Flouish & Knot
Slow Cooker Spinach and Artichoke Dip by Dannyelle of Life is a Party