This post contains affiliate links & photos. See our full disclosure here.
Table of Contents
Make DIY silhouettes using either card stock or paint. Both tutorials are easy! You can then display then on a gallery wall or even as Christmas ornaments!
DIY Silhouettes can make pretty housewarming or birthday gifts. They can cleverly customize a child’s space. Or they can personalize a small vignette. They can even be used on Christmas Ornaments!
And they are ridiculously easy to DIY! Don’t believe me? Take a look at these two ways to make DIY silhouettes!
Card Stock Silhouettes
Supplies For Card Stock DIY Silhouettes
Instructions For Card Stock DIY Silhouettes
1. Take your child’s profile (side) photo against a contrasting backdrop. A white wall works well. Profile photos turn out much nicer if the girl’s hair is up (live and learn) or if the boy is wearing a ball cap or something. And perhaps remind your children to stand up straight and help them choose their clothes for the photos.
2. Print the photos. Black and white and even draft mode on your printer is totally fine.
3. Cut out each silhouette.
4. Using a glue stick, glue each silhouette onto black cardstock.
5. Then cut out again.
6. Flip card stock over and glue to paper, or canvas.
Voila! Easy DIY silhouettes!
Supplies for Painted DIY Silhouettes
Instructions for Painted DIY Silhouettes
Our silhouette canvas backgrounds are pretty simple. I just painted some dollar store canvases white with a few coats of DecoArt paint (which is also sometimes available at the dollar store) and let it dry.
Also after the paint dried (I may or may not have helped it dry faster with a blow dryer) I grabbed a sanding block and went over the edges and then the whole surface of each canvas. This roughed up the paint just enough to soften the look.
Where to Use DIY Silhouettes
You can use silhouettes in any number of places.
- as art in a gallery wall
- made into ornaments for the Christmas tree
- as Christmas cards or birthday cards
- made into pennant banners and strung across a child’s room or a fireplace mantel
- printed onto t-shirts
- printed onto pillows
- and more!
Originally, all three painted DIY silhouettes hung over the TV armoire. Then they moved to a gallery wall.
A while later we made the card stock DIY silhouettes and hung them on our Christmas Tree as ornaments!
Didn’t I tell you it was easy! No matter, which DIY tutorial you choose, you can make yourself some DIY Silhouettes in an afternoon and then use them however you like around the house!