If you were around before Christmas, you know that we swapped our Living Room and Dining Rooms to make room for a Christmas tree.
Well now that the Christmas trees and Holiday decor are all put away for the year, we've decided that we like the living room where it is (in the former dining room)!
Life after swapping the living and dining rooms
The ‘new' living room is smaller and much more cozy.
I adore the board and batten and the Analytical Grey paint looks so good paired with the cream-colored couches.
It reminds me of several ‘formal' living rooms we saw when we toured a few model houses in the fall. And since we also have a family room only a few steps away, smaller and cozier works just fine for the main floor.
There are a few changes we'd like to make to get the room to a ‘finished' place though.
To help the room feel like it was meant to be a living room all along.
Plans for the Living Room:
- replace the two oversize love seats with a large sectional to make better use of the space
- paint over the chalkboard wall and add board and batten to match the rest of the walls in the room
- move the chandelier up a bit so it's out of the way when getting on and off the couch
- maybe make the coffee table smaller – this will depend how it looks and functions after the sectional is in the room
- add a barn door on either side of the large entryway
- figure out some side tables and lamps
- potentially close the smaller entryway (this will depend on the future kitchen makeover)
- add a chair to the corner if we close the entryway
- maybe add shelving or a blanket ladder?
So that's where we're at with the living room – livable but a work in progress.
Have you ever swapped rooms in your house? Did you keep them that way, or change them back after a time?
Living Room Source List:
- Wall Color – Sherwin Williams Analytical Grey
- Curtains – Ikea
- Flooring – Sandy Hills Hickory “Handscraped” Laminate from Lumber Liquidators
- Area Rug – Moroccan Trellis in Tan from Rugs USA
- Couches – second hand
- Pillow Covers – various (numbered covers from Chapters, Deer Head by Lucy of Craftberry Bush)
- Pillow Inserts – FJÄDRAR inner pillow from Ikea
- Grey Plaid Throw – similar here
- Oversized Clock – Fulton St. Wall Clock from Wayfair
- Grey Knit Poufs – Addison Pouf Ottoman in Grey from Wayfair
- Chandelier – Hampton Bay Heritage 6-Light Iron Chandelier from The Home Depot
- Large Square Coffee Table – DIY Brickmaker’s Coffee Table found here
- Candle Sticks – 5 Piece Turned Candle Holders by Birch Lane/Wayfair
- Large Oval Tray – Ikea
- Electric Fireplace – Canadian Tire
- Corner Floor Lamp – Ikea
- Large Hand Lettered Art – DIY found here
(Our source list contains affiliate links. That just means that we make a few pennies at no extra cost to you, should you purchase anything via one of the links. Thank you for helping to make this site possible! xo, Shannon)
Love Farmhouse Style?
Get instant access to this free guide for Where to Get Farmhouse Style on a Budget!