We’ve lived in this house for just over two years. Living here now, we sometimes forget how much our bungalow has changed in that time. So we thought it would be fun to do a little series of before and afters of some of the room that have changed the most. The first before and after we shared back in December was the dining room , then it was the kitchen and today I’m going to share some Master Bedroom before & afters.
Our bedroom didn’t even exist when we moved in. You read that right, this was a TWO bedroom house! As I’ve mentioned before there is an addition at the back of the house that is our living room and dining room. Which means the original living room was sort of redundant…and just happened to be near the two bedrooms and the bathroom at the front of the house. The perfect place to create a Master Bedroom.
Here’s a photo from inspection day:
And then after we moved in, for a few months while we reno’d the kitchen (because it was so gross I’d rather have a bedroom without walls than use that kitchen!) our bed “room” looked like this. No walls, no door and a lot cutesy country.
Now you’d see this from the same spot:
Here’s the old living room looking toward the front door and two bedrooms. This a realtor listing photo so it’s pretty small. Sorry.
If you were to stand in the exact same spot today, you’d be standing in our closet! But this is sort of what you’d see:
If you were to stand near the cabinet in the above photo and look toward the opposite wall, originally you would have seen right into the kitchen…through an arched doorway that Dean squared off when we redid the kitchen. Note the oh-so stylish air conditioner out the side of the house, right next to a window!! Huh?
And that’s how we built a bedroom from a living room!
Where we got everything/what we DIY’d:
• There is no baseboard yet. The crown moulding is from Home Depot, the window trim is original to the house.
• Headboard: DIY project
• Dresser: Ikea
• Blanket Box/Filing cabinet: roadside rescue DIY project
• Stepback cupboard: Dean’s first DIY years ago
• Beautiful white French chair: Dolled Up Living
• Clay knobs on stepback: Etsy’s VintageSkye
• Nightstand: from the now defunct Crafter’s Marketplace
• Lamps: Home Depot
• Blinds: Bouclair
• Sheers: Surefit Outlet, Ajax
• Accessories: The Pintuck duvet cover and shams are from West Elm – who I must say were darlings and after a simple phone call shipped them to me from the Toronto store overnight. The throw pillows were all made by me. Other accessories – various places like Homesense.
• Artwork: The banner is from Funkyshique (Etsy shop). The Pottery Barn-esque numbers canvas is a knock-off I painted.
• Paint colours: Walls – Behr colour-matched to PPG Scotch Mist, Trim – Behr Swiss Coffee
• Stencil: Royal Design Studio
What do you think? Improvement, yes?