Have you read the brand new book all about home, Home Made Lovely?

New Laminate Floors REVEAL

We are SO very very very excited to show you our new floors today!

Like super-duper-crazy-bouncing-off-the-walls-thrilled-to-share-a-million-photos excited!

They are so pretty!

After perusing all the choices at Lumber Liquidators, Dean and I settled on their Kensington Manor 12mm Sandy Hills Hickory Laminate based on this photo:

10026751_sw

Yup, we picked our floors from a photo online. Gasp!

We actually went into our local store to see it in person after we found it online, but as luck would have it, they didn’t have it at a location near us. But they told us we could order it in from another warehouse and if we didn’t like it it was no big deal.

Hello!

Fabulous customer service.

Obviously we went ahead and ordered it!

When our flooring arrived, Dean rented a cargo van (we drive a Civic – we rent a cargo van a couple of times a year for things like this) and went and picked it all up. The moment I saw it in real life, I was smitten.

Afterall, this was what we had been living with BEFORE #projectlaminate!

dining room flooring before

Orange. Orange. Orange.

old parquet

Not just orange, UGLY too!

Sidenote: For those of you who may be appalled that we covered hardwood (even parquet) with laminate, yes, we could have stripped down the parquet and refinished it in a darker stain. I’m sure it would have looked lovely. But Dean and I had two problems with that option: parquet is notorious for loose pieces (something Dean didn’t want to deal with forever) and there would have been scads of dust and mess in refinishing all that parquet (something I didn’t want to deal with even temporarily).

Besides we would have missed out on all the gorgeous hand-scraped goodness of the new laminate!

even more texture

Being that it’s laminate and not hardwood, obviously it’s not actually hand-scraped. But man, it looks AND FEELS textured!

And at 12mm plus an attached 3mm underpad – it’s nice and thick!

I’ll let some beauty shots do the talking for a minute…try not to drool on your keyboard whilst you look.

living room from entry

living room part

dining room from entryish

dining room

I adore how the floor just continues on from the living room into the dining room…

floor near buffet

Just look at the nice WHITE baseboard too! Totally makes the laminate go “pop”!

laminate at baseboard

We even dared to put laminate in the kitchen!!!

kitchen from living room

kitchen

in kitchen

We’ll keep you posted on how it wears.

I was totally worried about how we’d handle the stairs and railings, but Dean worked his magic while I was at a conference one Saturday and now we have this:

bullnose at stairs

Uh-Mazing, yes? (Dean and the floors!)

We honestly can’t say enough good things about these floors and Lumber Liquidators. The compliments we’ve received in person from friends, family and visitors have been too numerous to count.

How about you, do you love the new floors? Or were you sad to see the parquet go? (Btw, if you answer yes to that last question, I’m not sure we can be friends anymore. Just sayin’.) Do you have flooring you love? Or are you still dreaming of your perfect floor?

P.S. A how-to install laminate post is coming really soon. I just have to pin Dean down long enough to explain it to me so I can explain it to you!

*Disclosure: Lumber Liquidators generously gave us flooring in exchange for posting about their awesomeness. They did not tell us what flooring to choose or what to say. We were quite pleased with our LL flooring in our last house (that we PURCHASED) and are over-the-moon thrilled about our new Lumber Liquidators flooring in this house. We trust you all know by now that we wouldn’t post about or recommend anything we don’t love.

Comments

1. Margaret mcDonald says

Your floor is GORGEOUS. Wow totally awesome. I ‘ve hated parquet since we had a flood in an apartment back in my student days.

• Shannon says

That makes me laugh! I’ve had a bad association with parquet since college too when Dean and I lived in an apartment with parquet that just happened to be infested with cockroaches! So yeah, super yucky thoughts go with parquet for me too.

2. Casey @ waffling says

I have nothing against parquet, but your new floors are lovely!! Laminate is great for kitchen too- doesnt warp when wet like hardwood (tho, I always wonder what kind of water fights people HAVE in kitchens when they dismiss the idea of wood floors in there!)

• Shannon says

I know! We’ve spilled on it a bunch already and it’s doing just fine. And our dog has slopped all over it too. No problems!

3. Shannon says

Beautiful! Your laminate looks very close to what we are installing in our home at the moment. Isn’t it nice! A lot work but totally worth it!

4. marsha sefcik says

Floors look great. We extended the laminate from into our kitchen and even have it in our front entry. It is doing great after 4 years and we have messy winters here on the east coast.

5. Tammara says

They look amazing Shannon! Congrats, Don’t you love how a finished floor ties the entire house and all the projects you’ve worked so hard on together? Love them!

6. nancy says

I had Armstrong 12mm laminate flooring installed (not by me, too much for me) in a 1400 sq foot house and I have to say I was disappointed. I got 12mm because I didn’t like the clickiness of laminate and that part worked, no clicking at all, very solid. Exotic Walnut if I remember correctly, very attractive. But, it scratched in the middle of boards and chipped on the edges. And it’s me, careful 58 y/o lady w/small dog and 2 cats. I don’t know what was wrong. I was always crawling around with a Sharpie camouflaging scratches. I talked to the flooring store and Armstrong and got no real ideas or assistance. I have had great luck in the past with Bruce engineered hardwood floors and that was when my kids and their friends and bigger dogs were always in the house. If I do this again, I will get the Bruce engineered again or just go for real hardwoods. Your floors look beautiful, I hope you have better luck than I did.

• Shannon says

I’m really sorry you had a bad experience. I have zero experience with anything other than Lumber Liquidators and they’ve been amazing. I hope your next experience is much better!

7. Caroline Kelly says

Hi! I’m loving your floors! Loving! We are replacing nasty carpet in our house but I’m struggling with color choice. I love what you used but do you find it darkens your house? Our house is pretty dark and I’m worried it will make it darker. Thanks!

• Tina says

Im having the same flooring put in from LL and just curious, is there anything you would recommend on paint colors for the walls? I really like what you have on yours.

• Shannon says

The living room walls, I’m not sure because it was this color when we moved in. The dining room is Sherwin Williams Analytical Gray and I’d definitely recommend that!

8. Tina says

I love your floors. I came across your blog by searching the floors. I am so excited because we just ordered 900 sq ft of this flooring yesterday. We plan on installing it in our kitchen, dining room, living room, hall, den and even our master bedroom. I wouldn’t have picked it from the photo in the catalog but in person from the sample. We also had a great experience with our local lumber liquidators. I can’t wait to see it done and installed. Thanks for sharing your photos.

9. Kathy says

So excited to see your pictures because we just ordered this flooring today and now I know we made the right choice!!! Thanks for sharing.

10. Rachael Marchese says

Hi Shannon, it seems to be about a year since you installed your floors? I’m wondering how they’re holding up so far? Do they scratch? I’m contemplating buying the same floor….
    There is such a stigma connected to laminate and it’s killing my confidence in installing it!! I need it to look as good as new in 4ish years when we sell.
    Also, I was telling myself that we should just go with hardwood since it will be a better selling point than laminate.. but if buyers see how good THAT flooring looks, I’m not sure they’d care much that it’s laminate?? And it’s sooo muchhh cheapperrrr.. lol
    Thanks for any advice!

• Rachael Marchese says

PS. I absolutely LOVE every detail in your house.. very inspirational to me.. thank you 🙂

• Shannon says

Hi Rachel! I’ve actually been thinking of doing a follow up post. But the gist is these floors rock! They take a beating, don’t show footprints and look fab!

11. Jenny says

Wow! Looks great love your style! Do you happen to have any more pics of the stairs and/or railing. We are installing this laminate and are not sure weather to put it on the stairs. We also have to put up railing at the top of our stairs!

• Shannon says

We haven’t done the stairs yet. But the plan is to paint the risers white and stain the hardwood treads to match the laminate. I’m not sure it’s possible to do laminate on stairs as it’s a “floating” floor.