In this post: Use your Instant Pot® to quickly make delicious, homemade popcorn in minutes. Get my foolproof method for making fluffy popcorn in an Instant Pot here.
Skip the stove and whip up a bowl of popcorn in minutes, using your Instant Pot®! This method is easy, less messy, and easier to contain than when you use your stove. Instant Pot® popcorn is delicious and perfect popcorn every time!
Table of Contents
Why Homemade Popcorn?
Homemade popcorn is cheaper and healthier than store-bought/microwave popcorn. Making homemade popcorn also means you get to add whatever seasonings, chips, candies, etc. you want!
Why Make Popcorn in an Instant Pot®?
Instant Pot® popcorn is a safer and quicker way to make popcorn than the stove-top method. Plus, it’s way easier to clean up!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
This Instant Pot® popcorn recipe:
- is quick and easy to make
- is a yummy and healthy snack
- doesn’t require hard-to-find ingredients
- is totally diet and allergy-friendly
Instant Pot® Popcorn Ingredients
- Popcorn kernels: different from corn kernels, which don’t pop as popcorn kernels do.
- Oil: you can use any vegetable oil: coconut, avocado, soybean, corn, canola, etc.
Tools Needed to Make Instant Pot® Popcorn
The only tool you need is an Instant Pot®! You may want a glass lid so you can see the popcorn as it pops to make sure the kernels aren’t burning. But if you don’t have a see-through lid, you can lift your regular lid to check on your popcorn every so often!
Instant Pot® Popcorn Instructions
- Set your pot on saute and immediately place the oil inside your Instant Pot®.
- Allow the oil to heat up for about 2 minutes, or until your Instant Pot® displays the word “hot.”
- Place your popcorn kernels in the pot.
- Stir for about 1 minute before putting a see-through lid on the top of the pot.
- Within about 2-3 minutes of heating – while covered – you will start to hear the popcorn kernels popping.
- Let the popcorn pop for about 5 minutes or until most of the kernels have popped. Serve and enjoy!
Instant Pot® Popcorn Tips
- Your popcorn kernels may not seem stale to you, but if they are older they will not pop well, if at all, in the Instant Pot®. Use fresh kernels.
- To get a more even pop, after every minute of popping, stir the popcorn or shake your Instant Pot® to move the popcorn around. Unpopped kernels like to sometimes rest on already popped popcorn, which results in them not getting enough heat to pop. Moving the popcorn around helps these unpopped kernels get better heat.
- If you want extra buttery popcorn, you can add 2 tablespoons of butter with the oil. Once it’s melted, you can add your popcorn kernels.
Popcorn Seasoning Ideas
Seasoning popcorn can make it taste soooo good! In order to make the seasonings stick, you may find it helpful to melt some butter into your popcorn before seasoning it. Check out these yummy seasoning ideas:
- Buttery popcorn – drizzle plenty of melted butter over your popcorn and add a sprinkle of salt.
- Taco flavor – sprinkle this Taco Seasoning on the popcorn.
- Everything Bagel flavor – add this Everything Bagel Seasoning Mix to your bowl of popcorn.
- Cinnamon sugar popcorn – add 1 part cinnamon for every 3 parts powdered sugar. Finish it off with a touch of salt.
- Lemon pepper popcorn – use this Lemon Pepper Seasoning on your popcorn and your life will be changed forever.
How do you keep Instant Pot® popcorn crispy?
When you store your popcorn, make sure you let it cool completely. Once it’s cooled, place the popcorn in an airtight container or ziplock and store it at room temperature.
What kind of oil should I use for popcorn?
Coconut oil and avocado oil are best because of their high smoke point – meaning it will take a high temperature for the oil to break down into smoke and burn your popcorn. If you don’t have coconut or avocado oil on hand you can use other vegetable oils like canola, corn, soybean, etc.
In order to make sure your popcorn remains crisp, spread it out on a cloth or baking sheet to cool. Once cooled, put the popcorn in an airtight container or ziplock for up to 2 days.
More Snack Recipes
More Instant Pot® Recipes
- ½ Cup Popcorn Kernels
- 2 Tablespoons Oil
- Set your pot on saute and immediately place the oil inside your instant pot.
- Allow the oil to heat up for about 2 minutes, or until your instant pot displays the word “hot.”
- Place your popcorn kernels in the pot.
- Stir for about 1 minute before putting a see-through lid on the top.
- In about 2-3 minutes of heating - while covered - you will start to hear the popcorn kernels popping.
- Let it pop for about 5 minutes or until most of the kernels have popped. Serve and enjoy!
- If you want buttery popcorn, you can add 2 tablespoons of butter with the oil. Once it’s melted, you can add your popcorn kernels.
- I used avocado oil, which resulted in some luscious popcorn. However, you can use any oil you have on hand.
- If your popcorn kernels are older, they may not seem stale to you, but older kernels will not pop well, if at all, in the instant pot. Use fresh kernels.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 135Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 15mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily via Nutrifox.