Learn how to love your home in this 30 day series about making small improvements to,
being grateful for and seeing the beauty in the home you have.
Welcome back to day 28 of our HOME SWEET HOME – 30 Days to Love Your Home series!
Yesterday we talked about how sometimes we have furniture that could be awesome if only it were a little different.
Along those lines, I suggested that you select one piece from your home that you could refinish into something amazing today!
How to Paint Furniture
Some paint companies will tell you that you don’t need to sand something old before applying their paint.
My recommendation is to be careful with that statement.
Here’s why…You don’t know what oils are on your piece of furniture. As in, even if it has a fairly matte finish to begin with, there may still be spills or fingerprints that simple won’t take new paint.
So, here’s how to prep and paint your furniture:
- Do a lead test if the piece is of an age that warrants it, or you suspect it’s needed. Proceed depending on those results.
- Sand the piece. At the very least get rid of the glossy finish. Wipe off the sanding dust.
- Apply primer, especially if you’re drastically changing colors or finishes.
- Optional: sand again. Wipe off any sanding dust.
- Apply paint carefully with a brush or mini roller. Let dry and repeat.
- Sand between coats if necessary. Wipe away any sanding dust again.
- Depending on the paint you choose, apply a finish like wax or sealer.
Choosing a Paint Finish
Obviously before you can paint, you need to choose a paint finish. Do you want an aged look? Chalky-style paint? Maybe the weathered oak look? There are so many options!
If you aren’t sure which paint finish to choose, may I suggest that you download our mini guide DIY Paint Finishes – 12 of Our Most Popular Painting and Finishing Tutorials.
You can get DIY Paint Finishes right here.
TIP: You can pay as much or as little for it as you like!
Roll up your sleeves, grab a can of paint and makeover the piece of furniture that you chose yesterday. Then come back and tell me how it went in the comments!