This post contains affiliate links & photos. See our full disclosure here.
In this post: Are you looking for a way to be more intentional with your prayers? Do you want to track your prayer requests? Let’s look at how to keep a prayer journal. Plus a free 30-day devotional journal for you!
Do you want a method of tracking your prayer requests, or just letting your personal thoughts out between you and God? Are you looking for a great way to be more intentional with your prayers? The other day, we talked about Bible Journaling for Beginners. Today we’re going to talk about another kind of journal – a Prayer Journal. A prayer journal may be just the thing to help you be more intentional with your prayers or more thankful for answered prayers. Like any other type of personal journal, this will be for your eyes only, unless you choose to share it. That means you can be free and open to say whatever you want in it. This is your private time with the Lord. Let’s look at how to keep a prayer journal.
How to Keep a Prayer Journal
Here are the 5 steps you need to keep a prayer journal:
1. Begin with a prayer for guidance – One of the first things you can do when starting your prayer journal is to pray for guidance on how to start.
2. Find a great place to do your journaling – A great second step is to make a special place for your journaling. This should be a space that you feel comfortable in, and that will be free of distractions. There are no rules – it can be your garden, your bedroom, or your back porch. The point is just that you carve out a special place just for this, so you will be more dedicated and motivated to stick with your prayer journal.
3. Write down your prayer requests – It’s important that you also be very specific. You can put your personal prayer requests and requests you have for your family, as well as requests that are made at church, that you hear online, or that friends ask of you directly.
4. Write what you’re grateful for – Gratitude is a very important part of the process. Take time to acknowledge all the things God does for you, and what you are grateful for in your life.
5. When God answers your prayers, say thank you – This ties in to being grateful. Always go back to your prayer journal and give thanks for the prayers that are answered.
How to Choose a Journal
When choosing your journal, pick something that feels good to you. Pick a book or journal that you will enjoy writing in regularly, that is comfortable for you, and that you like the physical appearance of, so you will be drawn to using it daily.
That’s really the only criteria.
Free 30-Day Devotional Journal – Hope
To give you a jump start on keeping a Bible or prayer journal, we’re giving you access to our free 30-day devotional journal about hope. We haven’t shared too much here, but the last year for us has been a little trying in certain areas of life for us. Don’t worry, Dean and I and the kids are okay. But I think I’ll be doing the devotionals from this journal right along with you!
As you can see, keeping a prayer journal doesn’t have to be super difficult. You can be as creative and as flexible as you want. You can purchase a pre-set prayer journal to give you structure and just fill in the blanks, or you can start with a blank journal or a printable journal and do it custom to your needs.
Truthfully, keeping a journal is not something I’ve been consistent at in the past. But it is something I’d love to do on a regular basis. I think it would be wonderful to be able to look back and see how God has answered my prayers and spoken to me through scripture. I know He has. But the specifics would be such a great faith-builder, don’t you think?
Want a more peaceful, Christ-filled home?
Check out my new book, Home Made Lovely.
In it, I walk you through how to:
- decorate in a way that suits your family’s real life
- declutter in seven simple steps
- perform a house blessing to dedicate your home to God
- be thankful for your current home and what you already have
- brush up on hospitality with more than 20 actionable ideas that will make anyone feel welcome and loved in your home
I meet you right where you are on your home-decorating journey, helping you share the peace of Christ with family members and guests.
Looking for a Great Devotional?
The Joyful Life has beautiful, life-giving devotionals in both printed and digital formats.
And if you’d like a digital devo to have handy at all times, check out their digital versions.