🍂 Get all the fall ideas

How NOT to Paint Kitchen Cabinets

How not to paint kitchen cabinets. Unless you want your cabinets to resemble a piece of furniture found in a dilapidated shed after 50 years!

How not to paint kitchen cabinets

When it comes to painting kitchen cabinets, a Google search will get you any number of tutorials. Everyone from DIY bloggers, to HGTV and the DIY Network seems to have a tutorial on painting kitchen cabinets.

In case you’re short on time, the gist of all of them is to remove your cupboards, clean them really well, sand them, prime and paint a couple of coats.

(Don’t mind the paper skeletons. The kids were learning about bones in homeschooling!)

There are a few variations such as using more than one coat of primer or sanding between each coat of paint.

Some people use tack cloths to remove sanding dust while other use a vacuum or wet paper towels.

A few brave souls skip sanding all together and just use a deglosser.

But everyone – EVERYONE – insists upon cleaning the cabinets to remove cooking grease and splatters. And lots of those people say to use TSP.

According to Wikipedia TSP is:

Trisodium phosphate (TSP, E339) is a cleaning agent, lubricant, food additive, stain remover and degreaser. It is a white, granular or crystalline solid, highly soluble in water producing an alkaline solution.

If you want to take the easy way out with TSP (and not have to mix the powder yourself), you can buy it in a spray bottle like I did. Nothing really wrong with that. But you should probably put your glasses on, or get a magnifying glass out when you read the directions.

The directions say “Spray on and wipe clean with a cloth soaked in clean water.”

Yeah. Unfortunately I read it as “spray on and wipe clean with a cloth.”

When really it meant “be darn sure to wash off all TSP with clean water or else your corners and edges won’t take paint or primer no matter how hard you try or how much you wish they would!

One coat of primer + one coat of enamel paint on top of TSP = no adhesion! The photo above is NOT sanded. That is what applying paint on top of TSP not washed off looks like!

On the other hand, I did discover a new way to get a really chippy painted look!

chippy painted white cabinet doors

I suppose instead of “How NOT to Paint Kitchen Cabinets” this post could be titled “For the Love of Pete, Wash Off ALL the TSP!”

chippy painted white cabinet doors

But I think you get the picture. If you don’t wash off all the TSP, your paint job is going to resemble a piece of furniture found in a dilapidated shed after 50 years! Not cool.

Unless you’re going for that look in your kitchen. Which was definitely not what we were going for!

Oh and you probably shouldn’t use enamel paint that has a cure time of 30 freakin’ days either. Don’t ask me how I know. I don’t really want to talk about it.

CLICK HERE TO SEE OUR FINISHED WHITE KITCHEN!

Subway Tile Wall Rustic Coffee Bar Kitchen

Have you tried painting your own kitchen cabinets? Any good or bad stories to tell?

how not to paint kitchen cabinets

In case you're short on time, the gist of all of them is to remove your cupboards, clean them really well, sand them, prime and paint a couple of coats.

{...Read More...}

Comments

1. Akinlabi says

Ah! You’re funny with your intro. I’ve been searching for couple of days now and been stumbling on DIY! Blogs. Well seems you’ve been through that. Thanks for this helpful information. I really appreciate it. Now I know I to get started.

2. Bonita says

Painting kitchen cabinets are not as easy as everyone makes it to be. I didn’t want to dispose of the original solid wood cabinets in a 1950s house. I completely removed all paint with a heat gun and scraper, and thorougly sanded. I used wood putty to fill in previous gouges and rebuilt the cabinet corners, then sanded smooth. I wanted a hard finish that when bumped, the wood would not “dent.” I went to a local contract paint store; not Lowe’s, not Home Depot. They would not guarantee the paint unless I used the proper primer to accomplish the finish I desired. Yes, it took sanding between each coat of primer and paint because I started with bare wood. And yes, it took time. But let me tell you, it was definitely a profressional finish! I got the hard finish that I set out for. The guy at the contractor paint store was right on with his 30+ years knowledge. Don’t be fooled by the quick home makeovers.

• Shannon says

I don’t at all think it’s an easy DIY! It’s a tough job, for sure. But it is cheaper than a whole new kitchen – I think that’s why so many people do it!

• april says

Bonita would you mind sharing your paint brand and type? We are looking to do that as well and are a bit stumped as to what paint to use to achieve that result. Thanks!

3. Brandy says

Those must have been some SERIOUSLY greasy cabinets. TSP essentially turns grease into “soap” by emulsifying it, and that needs to be rinsed off, but in all my days of furniture refinishing, I’ve never seen one that paint wouldn’t stick to like that. Of course, a quick spray and wipe might not have been enough to get through the grease on those cabinets. TSP works better with a scrubber, and making sure you have the right ratio mixed for the job, I’m thinking it wasn’t because of the TSP that the paint wouldn’t stick, but maybe it was the undefeated grease.

• siobhan says

I have seriously ugly kitchen cabinets that were painted with thick red paint but weren’t washed first and the previous owner had no fan so everything was covered in cooking grease. Of course the paint didn’t adhere in some areas. I’m wondering if I should sand down the red paint to get to the cooking grease then wash with TSP (or soapy water) or should I try chalk paint over the whole mess?

• Amber G says

I have to agree. I’ve painted a lot of furniture and cabinets, I’ve used TSP on many jobs (I’ve always mixed my own) and honestly, I’ve NEVER washed it off with water and I’ve never had this happen. Maybe it was the paint.. I’ve gotten bad paint before and had some similar results.

• Amber G says

Strange! I just did an antique dresser and didn’t wipe any of it off and it turned out beautiful.. But again, I mixed my own. Maybe it’s a different concentrate with the pre-mixed. Always better to err on the side of caution, so good to know for future projects!

4. Kristi Sarff says

Thank you for making me laugh. I love a good chuckle first thing in the morning. Sorry it was at the expense of your frustration. It is much appreciated that you took the time to write about what NOT to do. This could possibly save me when I start my kitchen cabinet project. Look forward to seeing your finished results. 🙂

5. Shelley Creed says

I know the chippy finish wasn’t the look you were going for, but when I saw the picture of your cabinet doors I had to see how you did it! You may have stumbled onto an easy way to get a layered, been-around-forever paint finish. It looks like the results you get using milk paint.

6. shesablondemom says

I agree- I loved how “aged” the doors looked that were all leaned together! lol I am gonna whip up some TSP magic the next time I want that really aged look!
    Not to be heartless, honestly, I am sorry for all your mess……………….been there…done that! I was trying to get that really aged look to no avail- I finally gave up and got a distressed look but not as cool as yours- perhaps you should have kept this under your hat and sold it as a pre-treatment for REALLY getting an AGED… antique….been around the block look!
    HAVE a Blessed Christmas!

7. Rose Gatters says

Thanks a lot for sharing this information! Next week I want to renovate my kitchen cabinets and first of all I should clean them. Thanks for giving this detailed information because I need it before I start painting. Regards!

8. Mary says

I really enjoyed your informative review.since I too am thinking of redoing our cabinets your site was really helpful!!! I even got a chuckle out of it…Sorry, I’m sure it wasn’t funny while it was happening. But, thank you just the same.I hope I have better luck.

9. Lynn says

I hate my kitchen cupboards right now. They are really cheap wood, blond and totally wrecked by water being splashed down the fronts. They were like that when I bought the house, even tho it was only 6 mths old! I want to get rid of the mess and I’ve been looking at ways to get OUT of paiting them since I actually like the wood look. This is good to know since I would have cleaned them with TSP. I will probably use gel stain but this is good advice. I love your kitchen too!!

10. melissa says

Then they will look great… distressed look is Awesome..I painted my cabinets with Annie Sloan paints and used her soft wax 7 steps And BEAUTIFUL is what I have. .SOLID cured cabinets. all this hype on here not all fact.

11. Taylor Parker says

This is such a great post! Your cabinets turned out so beautiful! I’m helping my mom remodel her kitchen right now, and we are trying to decide if we want to do something new to the cabinets. She says that she likes them just the way they are, but we would hate to update everything, and leave the cabinets looking a little shabby. You’re ideas are great, and I might see if I can talk her into doing something like this.

12. Domy says

Hi, I do have to redo my kitchen cabinet’s doors, it is a pretty daunting prospect and I am really scarred to go into a lot of efforts and cost to finish with an awful result. I do hope that your experience is going to help me along.

13. Judith Cardassilaris says

You are so funny and so real. I have been considering painting my cabinets…
    My kitchen is small …the cabinets are stained cherry..love that but I’m thinking that the less contrast with the walls the more spacious it would seem….