Get rid of that tickly cough with this homemade cough syrup that tastes great and is made from things you already have in your kitchen!
There’s nothing worse than a lingering tickle when you’ve had a cold! Give it the boot with this homemade cough syrup that tastes great and is made from foods you already have in your kitchen!
Coughing is the way your body rids itself of mucus and other bad things from your lungs and upper respiratory system. This is important to keep in mind when you have a cough – you don’t want to totally suppress coughing altogether. But a lingering cough can be very annoying and can make it hard to rest and sleep, which is necessary for your body to heal too. By making a homemade cough syrup to help ease some of the symptoms of a cold, you give your body a fighting chance to get back to normal asap!
Why these ingredients?
Each ingredient has a purpose in this homemade cough syrup recipe.
Honey has antibacterial properties, which means it can fight bad germs from a cold. It also helps to coat and soothe an irritated throat and makes this kitchen remedy cough syrup taste a little sweeter. (Source)
Lemon juice is VERY high in vitamin C. It also has antibacterial and antiviral properties, making it a great addition to home remedies. (Source)
Coconut oil is rich in antioxidants. It is also antibacterial and antiviral due to its high levels of something called lauric acid. It can therefore reduce the length of colds and be soothing in home remedies for colds. (Source)
Ginger is an effective remedy for infection and irritation. It’s heating and cleansing properties work well on the digestive and respiratory tracts. (Source)
Cinnamon is both antimicrobial and antiviral. Which means it fights bad germs and viruses. It also helps the cough syrup taste great! (Source)
The warm water is added to make the homemade cough syrup mixture a little thinner and easier to swallow.
Homemade Cough Syrup
Homemade Cough Syrup
There's nothing worse than a lingering tickle when you've had a cold! Give it the boot with this homemade cough syrup that tastes great and is made from things you already have in your kitchen!
- Add 3 tablespoons of honey to a small bowl or jar.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of coconut oil into the jar. If the coconut oil is too solid, simply leave it sitting out at room temperature until it becomes more liquid in form. Do not heat the coconut oil at all.
- Squeeze the juice from half of a large lemon into the mixture.
- Add in 1 teaspoon of cinnamon to your cough syrup mix.
- Grate a ½ tsp of fresh ginger into the jar.
- Pour in 1 to 2 tablespoons of water to thin the mixture out a bit. You do not want it too thin, but it should flow easily from the spoon.
- Stir the mixture well, to combine all of the ingredients. You may need to use a small whisk.
Take 1-2 teaspoons of the homemade cough syrup 3-5 times a day. Not for use on children under the age of 2. Always check with your doctor before treating your children’s cold symptoms.