Take a regular plug-in cage light and a wood bracket to make a DIY hanging cage light.
Awhile back I purchased a pretty little cage light from Target. You know, when Target was still in Canada. Sigh. Anyway, when I first brought my little cage light home I set it on my secretary desk – and there it stayed for months.
I did eventually get an Edison-style light bulb to go with. But it still sat on the desk.
Finally the other day I figured out what I wanted to do with my little cage light!
You guys, it was so easy to hang and I even used power tools! Me! Okay just one – the drill – but still I did it all by myself!
Hanging Cage Light
- Hanging light (the plug in kind)
- Wood bracket (like this one from Ikea)
- Mounting screws and drywall plugs (if needed)
1. Mark the bracket holes in the appropriate place on the wall using a pencil. Use a level to make sure the bracket is level and straight.
2. Drill holes where you marked them and insert plugs (if needed).
3. Screw the bracket to the wall securely.
3. Hold the light at the height you want and then wrap the cord around and through the bracket as shown below.
4. Plug in your light, switch it on and enjoy!
This project would work with just about any bracket and any plug-in light.
If you're not fortunate enough to have a Target near you, here are a couple of cage light options:
Hooray for something small checked off my to-do list!
Click here to see the super easy way I drew the chalkboard wall squares – no measuring, level or ruler required!
What do you think of my easy hanging cage light? Rather industrial chic on the chalkboard wall, yes?
Let's Hang Out!
Sign up for our newsletters to get the latest from Home Made Lovely! We'll brighten up your inbox with doable decorating ideas, crafts and DIY projects you can make and delish recipes for your family. Get it all delivered to your inbox, plus tips and tools for adding a little creativity to your life!