Sometimes you just need to make a handmade Christmas ornament in a hurry. In that case, you should try these hand-lettered ornaments anyone can make!
This post sponsored by Michaels.
Sometimes you just need to make a handmade Christmas ornament in a hurry. Like when you’re trying to decorate before company arrives. Or when you want to give someone a handmade gift at the last minute. And sometimes, handmade needs to be quick and easy, right? In that case, you should try these hand-lettered ornaments anyone can make!
Hand-Lettered Ornaments ANYONE can make!
These hand-lettered ornaments are made with just a few basic supplies.
- regular or oversized flat wooden ornament shapes (I found mine already painted white and distress at Michaels)
- Sharpie in black
Santa’s MAKEshop is open at Michaels! From holiday décor to trimmings for your tree to DIY necessities, you can find everything you need to make your holiday magical! Click here to see more!
1. Draw a line on the flat wooden ornament in pencil. Use this as a guide for your hand-lettering.
2. Using the pencil, sketch out your lettering. Just use your basic handwriting.
3. Using a smaller sharpie, or the edge of a large one, trace over your pencilled handwriting.
4. Then, add an additional line for everywhere you would have used a downstroke in your handwriting.
5. Fill in the lines with a Sharpie. This will create emphasis on the downstrokes and mimic the look of calligraphy.
6. If you like the distressed look – or if your lettering is less than perfect – you can sand away some of the Sharpie. This will give your hand-lettered ornaments a farmhouse feel – and it will hide so many imperfections in your lettering too! (Ask me how I know that!)
7. Hang and enjoy your ornaments! You can place them in a tree, hanging from a stair railing or anywhere else you need a little Christmas decor!
More Christmas Ornaments
Of course, if you liked these, or need a different idea, here are a few more of our DIY make your own Christmas ornaments:
- 40 Christmas Ball Ornament Ideas
- Gingerbread Salt Dough Ornaments
- Silhouette Ornaments
- Chalkboard Christmas Ball Ornaments
- Snowflake Embroidery Hoop Ornaments
- Burlap Ornaments
- Cookie Cutter Christmas Ornaments
- Vintage Sheet Music Ball Ornaments