In this post: Add more flavor to your homemade cooking staples. This Greek Seasoning blend is easy to make and delicious in every dish.
Greek seasoning can be hard to find at just any grocery store, but the ingredients are found at most grocery stores without issue. That’s why making this seasoning at home is so handy. And, on top of that, it’s so versatile you’ll be amazed!
Table of Contents
What is Greek Seasoning?
As the name suggests, Greek seasoning is a seasoning commonly used in Greek recipes. It’s an extremely versatile seasoning that can be used on fish, chicken, salad, potatoes, popcorn, and so much more!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This homemade Greek seasoning recipe:
- is quick and easy to make
- keeps well in an airtight container for months
- doesn’t contain complicated instructions or hard-to-find ingredients
- can easily be adjusted to suit your individual taste
Why Make Greek Seasoning From Scratch?
Making Greek seasoning from scratch is great because it means you can have a seasoning you know is gluten, dairy, mustard, and MSG-free! And you can customize the recipe to fit your individual taste preferences. Don’t like basil? Don’t add lots! Avoiding garlic and/or onion powder? You’re not obliged to add them! You can add more or less of any ingredient depending on what you like. That’s an opportunity that you don’t have when you buy your Greek spice mix from the store!
- Dried oregano: has a pungent, earthy-green flavor.
- Dried basil: minty with a hint of anise.
- Garlic powder: the best shelf-stable way to add delicious garlic flavor.
- Onion powder: all the onion taste without the tears 🙂
- Dried dill: grassy and tangy with a hint of anise.
- Black pepper: smokey, woody, and spicey.
- Sea salt: brings out the flavors of the other herbs and spices.
- Add all the ingredients to a small mixing bowl.
- Stir until combined.
- Store in an airtight jar and use as needed.
How to Use
This seasoning is extremely versatile! You can sprinkle it on:
- Vegetables (bbq, roasted, raw, etc.)
- Fish (salmon, halibut, cod, etc.)
- Popcorn (you could try it on chips too!)
Recipes to use greek seasoning in:
Tools to Use:
- Spice jars with bamboo lids
- Minimalist spice jar labels
- “Picture Ledge” style shelves
Is Greek seasoning the same as Mediterranean seasoning?
They’re very similar but not identical! Many Greek spice blends have marjoram that isn’t included in Mediterranean seasoning. And Mediterranean seasoning often has cloves and cardamom in it but most Greek seasoning mixes don’t.
Is it gluten-free?
Yes, this Greek seasoning recipe is gluten-free! However, many store-bought varieties contain gluten, so make sure to check the ingredient list carefully or just stick to making it at home.
What does Greek seasoning taste like?
Greek seasoning tastes warm, earthy, minty, peppery, and more! Whatever you put this seasoning on, the most fitting spice from the mix for said food will pop.
What’s a good substitute?
A substitute for store-bought Greek spice mix is this homemade recipe. Not only is it easy to make, but it’s also easy to customize based on your personal taste preferences!
Is it gluten-free, paleo, keto, or whole 30 compliant?
It’s all four! This homemade recipe has no gluten or foods that are restricted in the Whole30, paleo, or keto diets. However, some store-bought varieties may have gluten, MSG, preservatives, etc. so make sure you check the ingredients carefully or just make your Greek spice mix at home.
How much spice do I add to my recipe?
Always follow the instructions of the recipe you are using! But if that recipe doesn’t tell you how much to use, try using 1-2 tablespoons per 1lb of meat/veggies.
How do you store it?
Store your homemade Greek seasoning in a glass jar – or another airtight container – in a cool, dry place. Avoid storing it near your oven, microwave, or windows – all that heat will cause the seasoning to go bad much faster. A cupboard or pantry are great places to put your jar of seasoning.
How long does it last?
When you store your Greek spice mix as recommended above, it should last for at least 6 months! But I bet you’ll use this delicious seasoning up before then 😉
More DIY Seasoning Blends
- Everything Bagel Seasoning Mix
- Italian Seasoning Recipe
- Fajita Seasoning Mix
- Pumpkin Spice Seasoning
- Homemade Apple Pie Spice
- 3 Tablespoons Dried Oregano
- 2 Tablespoons Dried Basil
- 2 Tablespoons Garlic Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Onion Powder
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Dried Dill
- 1 Tablespoon Pepper
- ½ Tablespoon Sea Salt
- Add all the ingredients to a small mixing bowl and stir until combined.
- Store in an airtight jar or container in the pantry for 2 months or longer.
- Give the mixture a try and adjust the amounts of each ingredient until you find the perfect mixture for your taste buds.
- Buy ingredients that are better quality as this will make all the difference in your finished product.
- Great additions to this mixture are dried parsley, dried rosemary, or dried thyme. I would simply add a tablespoon of each if you decide to include it.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 16Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 268mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 1g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily via Nutrifox.