Oh my goodness! Have I ever told you how much I love the look of french antique furniture?
Curvy, aged and neutral. Mmm. Perfect.
So can you imagine my thrill when I found this mirror at Value Village for super cheap whilst looking for something to make over for this month's Trash to Treasure…
I'm also super excited because – quite by accident – I found the perfect French paint finish using items you can easily get at your LOCAL hardware store!
Easy French Paint Finish
- Sherwin Williams SW 7051 Analytical Gray or other paint color matched (I used SW SuperPaint in satin finish because we had it leftover from painting the dining room)
- dark wax (like Miss Mustard Seed Antiquing Wax or Minwax Paste Finishing Wax or Van Gogh Beeswax in Caffeine)
- painter's tape (I always try to use Frog Tape because it seems to block the paint better)
1. Gently sand surface and wipe away dust.
2. Prime with your favorite primer.
3. Paint with Analytical Gray. Perhaps two coats. (It looks white in the photo above – but it is a gorgeous beige gray.)
4. Apply dark wax with a stiff short bristled brush or clean rag. Work into crevices and then wait a few minutes. Buff to finish and remove excess.
I'm LOVING the AFTER (in our almost finished entryway)!!!!
Do you like the French painted look? Do you have any pieces in your house finished in this way?
Love Farmhouse Style?
Get instant access to this free guide for Where to Get Farmhouse Style on a Budget!