Our kids are growing up so fast.
When they were small, it seemed like we'd have a gazillion summers to spend hanging out together.
In the blink of an eye they're teens/almost teens.
Time is flying by.
One of the ways we're making the most of the summers we have left is to spend deliberate time together. Since my girls and I enjoy them so much, this summer we plan to do a lot more arts and crafts. (We'll be planning other things to do with our teen son who doesn't enjoy being creative quite as much!)
The first craft we thought we'd try is this easy-for-all-ages drawing to watercolor painting inspired by colorful, creative summer art festivals.
Art festivals is one of several themed kids' crafting weeks offered by Michaels, called Passport to Imagination, every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 10 am – noon from June 14-July 31 at every Michaels location across the U.S. Passport to Imagination takes kids on an imaginary seven-week summer road trip from the beach to the art festival and more! The Michaels classroom will teach different crafts each session.
So. Much. Fun.
Drawings to Watercolor Paintings
Here's how you can make your own art festival inspired drawings into watercolor paintings.
- canvas board
- watercolor pencils
- jar of water
- paint brushes
- watercolor paints (optional)
1. Use a hard pencil to create your drawing. Using a hard pencil keeps the lines nice and light so they shouldn't be visible on your finished painting. If you aren't so sure of your freehand drawing you could always print off an image and use the pencil transfer method to create your initial drawing.
2. Now using the watercolor pencils, color in your drawing. Kinda like you would if you were just coloring with pencil crayons.
3. Now using appropriate sized brush(es), dip them into jar of water. Press brush on side of jar to remove excess water. Now brush water over a single watercolor on canvas board. Watch as the magic happens. Be careful to re-dip your brush between colors and only brush over one color at a time or you'll get muddy colors. You can add more watercolor if you'd like.
4. Leave flat to dry otherwise color may run. #oops (Don't worry, we fixed it after this picture!)
Then display on easels, picture ledges or frame.
While we were creating our youngest got to wear a fun new outfit from Gymboree.
Gymboree offers cute, coordinate looks that help your little ones enjoy the little and big moments this summer—from craft time to art festival time. Since 1976, Gymboree has proudly watched kids learn and grow through the power of play and seen firsthand the desire from Mom for cute, comfortable, coordinated style at an everyday great price.
To add the to the summer creative family fun, Michaels is also having a little sweepstakes…#CraftInStyle Instagram Weekly Sweepstakes. It's a 7-week weekly Instagram sweepstakes, encouraging Mom to share a photo of her family getting crafty and inspired by each week’s summer destination. The weekly winner will receive a $100 Gymboree gift card, a $100 Michaels gift card and craft supplies!
All you have to do is:
- Follow @Gymboree and @MichaelsStores on Instagram
- Post a picture of how your family crafts in style
- Tag your photo with #CraftInStyleSweeps
So what are you creating with your family this summer?
This post sponsored by Michaels and Gymboree. All opinions are my own. I wouldn't share it if I didn't like it!
Love Farmhouse Style?
Get instant access to this free guide for Where to Get Farmhouse Style on a Budget!