Make this DIY teething necklace and give baby something to chew on while you carry him!
Have you ever noticed how much babies LOVE to grab things to put in their mouths? Of course, you have! We don’t have babies in our house anymore. But we have neighbors and friends who have or are having babies. And I volunteer monthly in the nursery at church. So I hold a lot of babies. (Love me some baby snuggles!) One day after my church serve day, I thought it would be awesome to have a teething necklace for the babies to chew on that could be washed afterwards. Genius, right? So I created this DIY teething necklace!
This teething necklace would also make a great baby shower gift.
DIY TEETHING NECKLACE
- One – 44″ x 4″ piece of fabric
- One – 72″ x 4″ piece of fabric
- Twelve – 1″ wood balls/beads
- Sewing machine & thread
- Straight pins
1. After cutting fabric, fold first piece in half length-wise with right sides facing each other.
2. Pin open side along length.
3. Sew along pinned edge, with a 1/2″ seam allowance.
4. Turn fabric “tube” right side out. (This is admittedly a little tedious!)
5. Tie a knot at approximately halfway along fabric “tube”.
6. Add a wooden ball/bead inside fabric “tube” and push down to knot.
7. Tie a knot in fabric to secure bead in place.
8. Repeat steps 6-7 adding additional beads on either side of the initial knot.
9. Repeat steps 1-8 for second fabric “tube”. For our necklace we had 5 balls/beads in the smaller fabric “tube” and 7 in the larger “tube”.
10. Place two knot/bead lengths together to make a two tiered necklace. Adjust until seams are all facing in towards the center.
11. Now hold all four ends and mark where to join them to allow for the necklace to slip on and off over your head.
12. Pin and sew together.
13. Trim ends of excess fabric, leaving enough to fold over to hide the raw parts. Then sew in place to finish teething necklace. Trim and loose threads.
Do you have any lovely baby moms in your life that might like this?
*PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF PETE, DON’T LEAVE BABY UNSUPERVISED WITH THE NECKLACE. IT’S MEANT TO BE WORN BY MOM (or someone) WHILE HOLDING BABY.
Love Farmhouse Style?
Get instant access to this free guide for Where to Get Farmhouse Style on a Budget!