Are you avoiding potatoes? Make this easy, dairy free mashed cauliflower recipe instead! Made with garlic, this makes a nice mashed potato substitute.
Dean and I no longer eat potatoes very often. Don’t get me wrong…we’d love to. It’s just that we’ve found that the inflammation and subsequent aches and pains from that are not worth the splurge very often. Truth be told, potatoes (and other nightshades like tomatoes) have bothered Dean for quite awhile. But he’s only recently realized how much and how quickly they affect him. So, I rarely cook with them these days, opting instead for an additional veggie or two with dinner. Like this easy, dairy free cauliflower side dish.
Of course, if you want a very simple mashed cauliflower side dish, you could boil cauliflower in water with a clove or two of garlic. Then, when fork tender, just drain and mash with a potato masher before serving with butter or a butter substitute.
But if you have a little more time and want a little more garlic flavor, try the recipe below!
- 1 whole garlic head
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 head cauliflower
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup butter substitute, melted
- 1 basil leaf, minced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Trim off about ¼ inch off the top of your garlic. Pour olive oil on top and wrap with aluminum foil. Set on a small pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Chop cauliflower into florets and boil on medium until fork tender. Drain in a colander.
- Using a food processor, blend half the cauliflower and garlic on high. Once ingredients have reached a creamy consistency, transfer into a bowl and do the same for the next half. (I suggest doing this in case your food processor is not large enough to fit all of the ingredients).
- Add salt and pepper to taste, followed by melted butter substitute.
- Serve in individual bowls and top with fresh basil. Bon appetit!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 175Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 187mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 3g
Voila! A simple, dairy free roasted mashed cauliflower side dish to serve beside just about any main. (Our family likes it with roast beef and gravy!)