Learn how to make crunchy broccoli salad with bacon for your family or the next potluck, picnic, or family reunion you get invited to!
Dean and I have been married for years. But even before we were dating or married, our families attended the same church. It was a church that used to have socials and potlucks and all manner of food-centered events. Which means I’ve had the opportunity to eat his mother’s potluck salads and meals for decades. Salads like this crunchy broccoli salad with bacon.
How to Make Crunchy Broccoli Salad with Bacon
Now, I’m not actually sure if this is quite the way Mom makes her broccoli salad with bacon, or if it just tastes similar. In any case, it makes a delicious dish to take to potlucks at church, picnics or family reunions!
Crunchy Broccoli Salad with Bacon
- 1 head of broccoli
- 1/4 cup of shaved carrot
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup mayo I use a Vegan mayo because eggs disagree with me
- 2 tbsp. white sugar or honey
- 1 tbsp. of vinegar
- 6 slices bacon I use Turkey bacon
- Fry bacon till crispy. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Cut broccoli into bite size pieces.
- Dice onion.
- In a medium bowl combine all salad ingredients.
- Mix mayo, sugar or honey and vinegar together and pour over salad.
- Mix till combined.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour and then serve cold.
Technically this broccoli salad contains both eggs and bacon. BUT if you wanted to make it vegan, you could substitute a vegan mayo and plant-based bacon or simulated bacon bits and make it a vegan salad too! I actually use vegan mayo since eggs are disagreeing with me lately. I also use turkey bacon because my gallbladder does not like pork of any kind!