In this post: Our wee little dining room gets a makeover.
Once upon a time, a young family bought their dream house on a quiet little dead-end street. It was the perfect size and in good shape for its age. There was just the right number of rooms and the house had a unique yet functional layout.
One of the most-used spaces for this family was the dining room (eating in daily, homeschooling, hosting family events). However it required a lot of love before it could be the space the family envisioned.
This isn’t the first time we’ve shown you our dining room. It’s come a long way in just over a year.
The very first thing I did was to paint the room in my favorite color – Sherwin Williams Analytical Grey. It’s a little grey and a little taupe. So basically a warm gray with zero blue undertones. Not that blue is bad. It’s just not the type of grey I wanted.
After building our last dining room table (and then selling it with our old house!), we knew we wanted to build a farmhouse table for this dining room too. We finally got to it after eight months of eating off of a folding plastic table.
In the fall we added a thrifted hutch, changed out the chairs (the eiffel chairs now live around the games table in the family room) and laid new hand-scraped laminate flooring. By Christmas the dining room finally felt nice and cozy.
But when the tree and all the trimmings came down, there was something missing. There was no personality. The room just wasn’t finished.
Until this past week when Dean installed floor-to-ceiling faux board and batten (which I then painted). We used the same method as at our old house, but this time we used pre-primed mdf instead of unfinished finger-joint pine.
We kept the chalkboard wall, I just freshened it up a bit with a new saying.
And I added a little spring decor. (Because it’s still freaking cold and snowy outside!)
Now our dining room reminds me of a cottage or farmhouse up north. Or a little shop in Muskoka.
And I finally feel like it’s finished. Which is the nicest feeling of all.
Cottage Farmhouse Dining Room Sources:
- Farmhouse Dining Table – Build Post here, Whitewash Finish here
- Metal Chairs – The Home Depot
- Whicker Chairs – The Home Depot (no longer available)
- Chandelier – kijiji, but also available at The Home Depot
- Hutch – kijiji, Paint Tutorial here
- Buffet – Habitat for Humanity Restore
- Drop Cloth Curtains – tutorial here
- Placemats – Urban Barn
- Chargers – Kitchen Stuff Plus
- White Dishes – Homesav
- Green and Blue Dishes – Homesense
- Garden Cages (centre of table) – Homesense
- Three-Tier Dessert Stand – Superstore
- Glass Cake Stand – Canadian Tire
- Cream Colored Oval Tray – Ikea
- Black Candle Sticks – Debbie Travis, Canadian Tire
- XOXO Burlap Banner – tutorial here
- Blessed Nest Art Prints – Lucy, Craftberry Bush
- Frames – Michael’s
- Flooring – Sandy Hills Hickory Laminate, Lumber Liquidators
- Paint – Analytical Grey, Sherwin Williams