Start your day well with these chocolate protein pancakes for breakfast. Full of flavor, low in carbs, high in protein, these make a great snack too.
I think there are very few people who dislike pancakes. Serve them with butter and real maple syrup and they’re even better. But, what if you want a lower carb, higher protein version? You know, to avoid that sugar crash shortly after eating them? Enter our chocolate protein pancakes!
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 scoop chocolate flavored protein powder, I recommend Vega brand
- dash of salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 3 egg whites
- chocolate chips, optional, and add carbs
- In a food processor, blend banana and egg yolk until smooth.
- Add the protein powder, salt and baking powder. Blend until mixture is even in color and smooth.
- In a very clean bowl, whisk egg whites until they are white in color and reach soft peaks.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the banana mixture until combined. Be careful not to mix all of the air out of the batter.
- Heat a good, non-stick skillet to medium heat. I do not use oil for these pancakes, as they don't need it in my experience. But if you have trouble with sticking, use a spray oil or a tiny bit of coconut oil to lightly coat the pan.
- Pour about 1/4 cup mixture onto the pan. Cook on first side about 2 minutes, or until air bubbles can be seen popping up through the batter.
- Flip the pancake and cook on the opposite side for about another minute.
- Serve with fresh fruit, whipped coconut cream and/or chocolate chips.
Pancakes might feel a bit crispy when they come off the pan, but as they set they will shrink a bit and get wonderfully pillowy and soft.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 282Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 255mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 3gSugar: 21gProtein: 21g