In this post: This chocolate avocado pudding is the perfect healthy dessert. It’s vegan, dairy-free, and made with simple, healthy ingredients!
I have to admit, I adore avocados! They’re so versatile – I put them in smoothies to thicken them up and in salads for extra healthy fats. So, of course, this vegan chocolate avocado pudding recipe is one of my favorite desserts! Learn to make it for yourself with step-by-step instructions below.
Table of Contents
What is Chocolate Avocado Pudding?
Wait, avocado in pudding? Yes! And before you call me crazy – try this delicious vegan pudding! The avocado doesn’t have a strong taste and creates a delightfully creamy texture akin to real pudding.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This vegan chocolate pudding recipe:
- is quick and easy to make
- doesn’t require fancy equipment or hard-to-find ingredients
- is free from the most comment food allergens
- Avocados: create a creamy texture that mimics regular pudding.
- Cocoa powder: adds a delicious chocolate flavor.
- Pure maple syrup: a delicious vegan sweetener.
- Vanilla extract: adds depth to the flavor of the pudding.
- Sea salt: vital to any chocolate pudding recipe.
- Almond milk: this is an optional add-in in case you need to thin out your pudding.
Substitutions and Variations
- You can use any milk you want: almond, soy, oat, cashew, coconut milk, etc.
- Try replacing one of the avocados with a banana to reduce the fat and add natural sweetness.
- For sweeteners, try maple syrup, honey (which isn’t vegan), liquid stevia, date syrup, etc. Remember to add as much sweetener as YOU find yummy!
- You can use sweetened or unsweetened cocoa powder.
How to Make Chocolate Avocado Pudding
- Peel the avocados and remove the pits.
- Place all the ingredients in a blender or food processor.
- Blend the ingredients until smooth. Add milk if the pudding is too thick.
- Serve cold with your favorite toppings!
Serve the pudding chilled with toppings like:
- chocolate chips
- fresh berries (strawberries, raspberries, etc.)
- chopped nuts
- orange slices
- cake crumbs
- whipped cream or coconut cream
- peanut butter
- toasted coconut
- dark chocolate
- For the perfect chocolate avocado pudding, you need the perfect avocado. You’ll need an avocado that’ll be creamy when blended. HOWEVER, the riper the avocado gets, the stronger its taste becomes. Using a ripe but entirely green avocado (no brown spots) is best.
- If your pudding needs more or less of an ingredient, go ahead and adjust the recipe based on your judgment.
- If you don’t have enough avocado, add some banana for creaminess and natural sweetness.
- You can freeze this recipe for an extra cold treat similar to ice cream.
- If you use frozen avocados, make sure you blend the pudding well so there are no chunks.
- Don’t forget to add your favorite toppings for a more nutritious and delicious finished dish!
How to Store Avocado Pudding
Store the chocolate avocado pudding leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days. To freeze, put the leftovers in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 months.
How do I hide the avocado flavor?
If you use pure green avocados (not overripe) the cocoa powder will mask the taste of the avocado. If you make the pudding and find it tastes too much like avocado, you can add more cocoa powder and re-blend.
What type of cocoa powder is best?
Raw, unsweetened cocoa powder works best in the recipe. However, you can still use sweetened cocoa powder or anything other variety you have on hand.
Can I use frozen avocado?
Yes, frozen avocado works well in this recipe! It’ll make the pudding creamier because of the extra moisture. Even better, the pudding won’t have to be chilled in the fridge because it’ll already be cold!
What can be used instead of maple syrup?
Instead of maple syrup, you can use honey, liquid stevia, sugar, date syrup, or agave nectar.
- 2 large, ripe avocados - rind and pit removed
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 4 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp real vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup almond milk, (optional - for consistency)
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor.
- Blend until smooth.
- Serve cold with your favorite toppings!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 463Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 24gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 312mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 15gSugar: 27gProtein: 5g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily via Nutrifox.