A deliciously filling, yet light lunch or dinner for the the whole family. These chickpea and veggie pitas sneak in a generous serving of vegetables and protein and will have everyone coming back for more!
I love chickpeas and veggies together! It’s one of my favorite lunch combos. This delicious chickpea and veggie pitas recipe will have you eating a generous serving of veggies and protein!
Chickpea and Veggie Pitas
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas
- ¼ medium red onion
- 1 medium carrot
- Juice of ¼ medium lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- grape tomatoes
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- optional, use onion powder instead of onion
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 3-5 pitas
- Romaine lettuce optional
Make Pita Filler:
- Drain and rinse chickpeas.
- Chop tomatoes in half, then in thirds.
- Grate carrot.
- Place all of these ingredients into a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, olive oil and lemon juice
- Pour into chickpea/veggie mixture.
- Add salt, pepper, cilantro, and garlic powder.
- Mix everything together.
- Cut pitas in half. To make them a little more workable, put in microwave for 10 seconds.
- Open pita and add a romaine leaf, if using.
- Fill with mixture and enjoy!
Do you like chickpeas? How about pitas?