In this post: Trade your expensive fraps for this homemade Caramel Frappuccino®! You won’t even need to hide your Starbucks® receipt. This recipe is always a hit with my friends and family!
The caramel Frappuccino® is one of the most popular coffee drinks for its sweet, rich taste! But let’s be honest, going out to get one all the time can be seriously inconvenient! Learn to make this fantastic drink at home with step-by-step instructions.
What Is a Frappuccino®?
A Frappuccino® is a coffee beverage introduced to the public by Starbucks® in 1995. In its simplest form, a Frappuccino® is a blended iced coffee with flavored syrups and whipped cream on top.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This caramel Frappuccino® recipe:
- is quick and easy to make
- doesn’t contain complicated instructions or hard-to-find ingredients
- is totally adaptable to any dietary restrictions or allergies (see below for ideas)
Caramel Frappuccino® Ingredients
- Ice: blending the ice and coffee together is one of the keys to making a Frappuccino®.
- Strongly brewed coffee: the coffee will get a little watered down by the ice, so it’s important to brew it strong!
- Milk of choice: dairy, almond, coconut, soy, oat, etc.; any milk will work for this recipe.
- Caramel syrup: this rich and creamy sauce adds the perfect flavor to coffee, cold or hot! In this recipe, you can use extra caramel sauce as a yummy garnish.
- Vanilla extract: a little of this baking staple goes a long way when it comes to flavor.
- Whipped cream (or heavy cream): this garnish on top of the Frappuccino® is so fun and delicious!
- Xanthan gum: this ingredient is a wonderful additive if you enjoy thicker, creamier Frappuccinos®.
- Sugar (optional): an optional addition for those of you who enjoy extra sweet coffee!
How to Make a Caramel Frappuccino®
1. Prepare 1 cup of strong coffee. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. Put ice and chilled coffee in a blender.
2. Add cold milk, vanilla extract, optional xanthan gum, and sugar as desired.
3. Add your favorite caramel sauce.
4. Blend on high speed until smooth. 5. Pour into glasses. Top with whipped cream and drizzle with your favorite caramel sauce!
Notes and Variations
- You could use other flavored syrups like chocolate, strawberry, or hazelnut
- Using espresso instead of coffee will give your Frappuccino® a stronger flavor
- Add some sea salt to make your a salted caramel Frappuccino®
Freezing Your Frappuccino®
You can freeze the Frappuccino® for later (just don’t freeze the whipped cream). Defrost it at room temperature for 20-30 mins, add whipped cream and caramel sauce, and enjoy this delicious treat!
The Secret Caramel Frappuccino® Ingredient
You may be surprised to hear that there is a secret ingredient that can make caramel Frappuccinos® a billion times better. Alright, I won’t keep you in suspense any longer! The secret ingredient to a thick, creamy caramel Frappuccino® is xanthan gum. Only a small amount of this magical ingredient will make your Frappuccino® smooth and creamy, even as the ice melts!
Want a Healthier Version of Starbucks® Caramel Frappuccino®?
There are some ways to make your Frappuccino® healthier, though it won’t taste quite as good as the original recipe:
- Skip the added sugar or add artificial sweetener instead
- Use low-fat or nut milk (especially if you are lactose intolerant)
- Try sugar-free caramel sauce
- Use little to no whipping cream and caramel drizzle on top
How much caffeine is in a Starbucks® Frappuccino®?
A Starbucks® Frappuccino® has around 100mg of caffeine, which is less than the usual 182mg in a regular cup of coffee.
Can you freeze leftovers?
You can freeze the Frappuccino® leftovers – aside from the whipping cream and caramel drizzle! Just defrost them for 20-30 minutes at room temperature and enjoy.
How to make a Frappuccino® stronger
To make your caramel Frappuccino® stronger, you could try:
- using espresso instead of (or along with) coffee
- adding extra instant coffee
- freezing leftover coffee as coffee ice cubes and using that instead of regular ice cubes
- using more coffee and less milk
To make this recipe dairy-free/vegan you should use:
- nut or soy milk
- a vegan caramel sauce substitute
- vegan whipping cream (my favorite is coconut whipping cream!)
- 1.5-2 cups of ice
- 1 cup strongly brewed coffee
- 3/4 cup milk of choice
- 1/4 cup caramel sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- whipped cream (or heavy cream) and any caramel sauce for garnish
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 1\2 tablespoons sugar if you need (optional)
- Prepare 1 cup of strong coffee. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. Put ice, and chilled coffee in a blender.
- Add cold milk, vanilla extract, optional xanthan gum, and 2-2 1\2 tbsp sugar as desired.
- Add your favorite caramel sauce.
- Blend on high speed until smooth. Pour into glasses. Top with whipped cream and you can drizzle with your favorite caramel sauce.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 237Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 269mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 0gSugar: 52gProtein: 4g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily via Nutrifox.