If Dean and I ever got to do our wedding over again, I’d choose a barn wedding in a heart beat.
I was actually thinking of throwing myself a 40th birthday party using barn wedding style decorating just because I love it so much.
(I’m pretty sure it’s a rule that when one turns 40 they can throw themselves whatever kind of party they like.)
There’s just something so beautiful about the juxtaposition of a rustic barn with all its wood beams and the beauty of a little lace and some pretty flowers that makes my heart so happy.
Given that our home’s decor style is pretty much rustic wood, with some crisp white and touches of black, barn wedding style decorating fits right in for a celebration or party, don’t you think?
8 Elements of Barn Wedding Style Decorating
If you love the look of barn wedding style like I do and want to recreate the look for your own party or celebration, here are 8 must-have elements:
- Natural wood tones. Be it the actual barn, or just in tables in your space natural wood is a must for a barn wedding look. In our dining room setting both the table and the shelving includes natural wood tones.
- Touches of black. Every single space everywhere (literally everywhere) needs at least one touch of black to ground it and give it an elegant look. In this case we have several black elements, but the shelves, number art, candles and lanterns really give the space a solid feeling.
- Burlap. Burlap is a bit of a funny fabric. It is quite rustic in look and feel but the very fact that it’s a fabric lends it a certain softeness. Here burlap is present in the table runner which is just a simple length of burlap laid down the center of the table.
- Lace. What’s a wedding theme without lace? Even the smallest amount of lace – like that on the table runner here – makes a feminine statement.
- Flowers. Flowers add life to any setting. In this case I’ve actually cheated and added faux flowers but real ones would work even better in barn wedding style decorating.
- Twinkle lights. Oh the magic of twinkle lights! Add them anywhere and everywhere to add a little whimsy and romance. Here there are mini strings of LED twinkle lights tucked into each lantern.
- Candles. You would certainly have to be more careful in an actual barn with lit candles. But in our dining room tall taper candles in black and blush add a certain elegance and romance without being all feminine.
- Marquee lights. This one is sort of a bonus. I adore the look of marquee lights. Spell a name, simple initials or a year in marquee lights depending on the celebration!
Do you like the look of barn weddings? Would you throw yourself or someone else a party (perhaps an anniversary party) using barn wedding style decorating?