This post contains affiliate links & photos. See our full disclosure here.
In this post: Create memories making your own ornaments with over 40 easy-to-make Christmas Ball Ornament Ideas! Free printable, easy-to-find supplies.
I don’t know about you, but I’ve come to really enjoy making Christmas ornaments over the last few years. Of course, there are so many ornaments that you could create. But my favorite quick and easy Christmas ornament crafts are the ones where you “just” add fill to those clear Christmas balls, or give them a bit of embellishment. The Christmas ball ornament ideas are endless!
Table of Contents
40+ Christmas Ball Ornament Ideas For You to Try This Year!
Making ornaments using clear glass or plastic ball ornaments (paid link) is so easy you can even do it with the kids. Here are more than forty ideas for making your own Christmas ball ornaments.
Simply remove the top, fill each ornament with the items listed below, replace the top, hang and enjoy!
If your chosen fill is larger than the hole in a normal clear ornament, buy the ornaments that split in two.
- Bottle brush trees and fake snow
- Glue and glitter
- Strips of sheet music or old book pages
- Mini jingle bells
- Rope, twine or jute for a beachy look
- Pieces of real or faux pine or cedar greenery
- Faux cranberries
- Scrabble tiles, either individually or glued together to make a short word like joy or noel, etc.
- Birch bark
- Mini pennant banners
- Confetti shapes
- Candies such as Smarties, M&M’s, jelly beans
- Dry hot chocolate mix and marshmallows
- Roll a mini ball of yarn and two small stick pins to look like knitting needles
- Fabric shreds, maybe from an old well-loved child’s blankie, or from fabric the color of your decor scheme
- Pip berries garland pieces
- Old kids’ Christmas lists
- Faux snow and mini pine cones
- Beads or pearls
- Faux snow
- Lego pieces
- Mini dinosaurs or animals
- Miniature maps of places you’ve visited
- Steampunk scrapbooking bits like gears, etc.
- Sand and mini seashells
- Twigs from your yard or the cottage
- Pipe cleaners twisted into any shape
- A layer each of dirt, moss, and then faux snow to look like the ground at Christmas
- Popcorn kernels or popped!
- Cloves and/or cinnamon
- Paper clips or staples for an office tree
Just add the decorations as described, hang and enjoy!
- Santa’s Belt: fill with red tinsel or fabric, add a strip of black velvet and a pop can tab
- Winter Scene: draw snow covered pine trees with a white marker on the outside of the ornament, fill them with faux snow
- Snowing: draw snowflakes with the white marker on the outside of the ornament and fill them with sparkly faux snow
- Snowman Head: glue two mini-buttons and an orange triangle of paper onto the outside of the ornament, then draw black “coal” for a snowman mouth
- Glitter Monogram: draw a nice big monogram on the outside of the ornament, fill it with glue and then sprinkle with glitter
Free Christmas Ball Ornament Ideas Printable Cheat Sheet
I’ve even created a free printable, so you can print off all the ideas, take them with you and craft your very own ornaments!
Take it with you to find supplies, or keep it handy while you order supplies online. Then just fill your ornaments, hang and enjoy. Make some to give as gifts, or start a new family tradition of making ornaments together each year! Just use the form below to get your cheat sheet sent to your inbox!