In this post: Our everyday lives can be full of anxiety and worry. And in extraordinary times, it can be hard not to feel the stress intensely. Here are twenty calming Bible verses to help you focus.
Life on this planet can be really, really hard. It can be easy to let worry, stress and anxiety take over our thoughts. But, there are so many calming Bible verses that we can cling to to help to soothe our weary souls.
What Does God Say About Stress and Anxiety?
The bible talks about stress and worry many times. Over and over again, Jesus tells us not to be worried or anxious about our lives. What we will eat, or what we will wear, even what tomorrow will bring.
Matthew 6:34 “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.”
We are to give our worries to Him, because He walks through things with us.
1 Peter 5:7 “Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.”
What Does the Bible Say About Peace?
By giving our worries and concerns to Jesus, and believing in Him alone, Jesus says that we gain a peace – HIS peace – that surpasses all understanding.
John 14:27 “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.”
How to Use the Reading Plan and Customize It for YOU
Below I’ve listed the calming bible verses for worry, stress and anxiety. I’ve also included a free printable version of these verses. Here’s how you can keep these verses front and center in your day-to-day life:
- Print the verses out and put them where you can see them every day. Especially when you first wake up and before you go to bed, to sort of bookend your day with God’s truth. Perhaps, tape them to your bathroom mirror, set them on your nightstand, or put them on the fridge.
- Another way to use the reading plan below and customize it for you, is to grab some cue cards, or cut up paper, and write the verses down, one at a time.
- Also, read them out loud when you see them each day.
- And finally, memorize the verses you love most.
By reading them, writing them, speaking them and memorizing them, they will become more ingrained in your brain and will sink deep for easy recall when you again feel pressure or worry.
20 Calming Bible Verses for Worry, Stress and Anxiety
Okay, so as I mentioned, there are many bible verses that God inspired others to speak about anxiety and worry. Here are my favorites, in standard books of the bible order. Use the printable version below to focus on those that speak the most to you, in your situation right now.
- Psalm 16:8 “I have set the Lord always before me. Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.”
- Psalm 23:4 “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.”
- Psalm 46:10 “Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!”
- Psalm 55:22 “Cast your burden on the LORD, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved.”
- Psalm 56:3 “When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
- Psalm 121:1-2 “I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth.”
- Proverbs 3:5-6 “Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.”
- Proverbs 12:25 “Anxiety in a man’s heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad.”
- Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
- Matthew 6:25-27 “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?”
- Matthew 6:34 “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.”
- Matthew 11:28-30 “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
- Luke 12:25 “And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?”
- John 14:27 “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.”
- Romans 8:31 “What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?”
- Philippians 4:6-7 “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
- Colossians 3:15 “And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful.”
- 2 Thessalonians 3:16 “Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times in every way. The Lord be with you all.”
- Hebrews 13:6 “So we can confidently say, “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?”
- 1 Peter 5:7 “Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.”
Printable: 20 Calming Bible Verses
To get your own printable copy of these calming bible verses instantly, just leave your email below. Then check your email (remember to check your spam and junk too) to confirm your email and your printable verses will be sent straight to your inbox!
More Bible Reading Plans for Calm and Peace
There are, of course, so many more books and devotions that will help you in your quest for calm and peace in the midst of stress and anxiety. Here are a few:
Bible-Based Books to Calm Anxiety
If you want to get into a good book to reduce your anxiety, check out these Bible-based books by Christian authors:
Still having trouble sleeping?
Maybe it’s your physical environment that’s causing some sleep issues. If so, you may want to try our 10 Essential Oil Diffuser Blends for Sleep.
Want a more peaceful, Christ-filled home?
Check out my new book, Home Made Lovely.
In it, I walk you through how to:
- decorate in a way that suits your family’s real life
- declutter in seven simple steps
- perform a house blessing to dedicate your home to God
- be thankful for your current home and what you already have
- brush up on hospitality with more than 20 actionable ideas that will make anyone feel welcome and loved in your home
I meet you right where you are on your home-decorating journey, helping you share the peace of Christ with family members and guests.