This post contains affiliate links & photos. See our full disclosure here.
In this post: Can’t sleep? Tossing and Turning? I’ve totally been there too. Here are 10 Bible verses for when you can’t sleep at night. I hope they help you find rest.
Have you spent your night tossing and turning and staring at your phone for hours? Maybe you got up, walked around, watched a TV show, only to find yourself more awake than when you started. How about reading some Bible verses when you can’t sleep?
Restless nights happen more frequently than I would like to admit, and no matter how tired I get, sometimes I can’t seem to find a way to get to sleep. I’ve tried everything from shutting off my devices an hour before bed, drinking a sleepy time tea, or even enjoying a quiet bath just before bed.
Instead of counting sheep, consider spending some time with God in the wee hours of the night when you can’t. I’ve found that through meditating with God, I’ve been able to have a more restful, peaceful, and easier time sleeping at night. Here are 10 Bible verses for when you can’t sleep.
What Does God Say About Sleep and Insomnia?
The bible talks about sleep many times. Over and over again, Jesus tells us not to be worried or anxious about our lives. What we will eat, or what we will wear, even what tomorrow will bring, which is a huge reason we don’t sleep.
“When you lie down, you will not be afraid, when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.” (Proverbs 3:24)
His gift to us is His peace.
“Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” (John 14:27)
What Does the Bible Say About Rest?
Jesus also says He will give us rest. And you KNOW His rest is good!
“”Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” (Matthew 11:28)
How to Use the Reading Plan and Customize It for YOU
Below I’ve listed the Bible verses for when you can’t sleep. Here’s how you can keep these verses front and center in your day-to-day life:
- Highlight the verses in your Bible and then refer to them often. Especially when you first wake up and before you go to bed, to sort of bookend your day with God’s truth.
- Another way to use the reading plan below and customize it for you is to grab some cue cards, or cut up paper, and write the verses down, one at a time. Perhaps, tape them to your bathroom mirror, set them on your nightstand, or put them on the fridge.
- Also, read them out loud when you see them each day.
- And finally, memorize the verses you love most.
By reading them, writing them, speaking them, and memorizing them, they will become more ingrained in your brain and will sink deep for easy recall when you again feel pressure or worry.
The Top 10 Bible Verses to Read When You Can’t Sleep
- “When you lie down, you will not be afraid, when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.” (Proverbs 3:24)
- “I lay down and slept, yet I woke up in safety, for the LORD was watching over me.” (Psalm 3:5)
- “Be still, and know that I am God.” (Psalm 46:10)
- “So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today.” (Matthew 6:34)
- “Return to your rest, my soul, for the LORD has been good to you.” (Psalm 116:7 NIV)
- “Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day. For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways.” (Psalm 91:1,5,11)
- “I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety.” (Psalm 4:8, KJV)
- “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30)
- “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” (John 14:27)
- “Casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.” (Peter 5:7, ESV)
Need a New Bible?
Want to highlight or makes notes near your favorite verses?
Want to find each book in your Bible easier?
We all have those nights when we have a lot on our minds or a lot on our hearts. Rather than continue to toss and turn at night, keep these Bible verses handy and repeat them until you fall asleep! You can choose to memorize these or keep a journal or notecards handy on your bedside table. No matter what is weighing in your heart or on your mind this evening…
Want a more peaceful, Christ-filled home?
Check out my new book, Home Made Lovely.
In it, I walk you through how to:
- decorate in a way that suits your family’s real life
- declutter in seven simple steps
- perform a house blessing to dedicate your home to God
- be thankful for your current home and what you already have
- brush up on hospitality with more than 20 actionable ideas that will make anyone feel welcome and loved in your home
I meet you right where you are on your home-decorating journey, helping you share the peace of Christ with family members and guests.
Looking for a Great Devotional on a Night Like This, When You Can’t Sleep?
The Joyful Life has beautiful, life-giving devotionals in both printed and digital formats.
And if you’d like a digital devo to have handy at all times, check out their digital versions.
Are you still struggling with insomnia due to stress and worry? Here are 3 Bible verses to pray over your home.